Impellor and wear plate

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zum

Reaction score
Started up a 30hp Mariner (yamaha made) first time in two years ...only took 6 pulls but the there was no water out the exhaust or tell tale with muffin on. I remember it never was a strong pumper but did always have some from the exhaust so I took the lower unit off to check the impeller. Had trouble with one bolt holding the impeller case...had to weld a couple nuts to the broken bolt and heat her up but did get it removed. Once I seen the impeller it looked fine, all fins in place and plenty pliable. So my first question is, can the impeller be too soft? The stainless plate that it rides on was a little scorn didn't think it would be an issue but maybe it has to be smooth?
I ask these questions because I took it to the lake thinking that maybe the muffs weren't good enough pressure and a higher level of water would be good... not so. It didn't pump much at all, a little came out the tell tale once the outboard got hotter than Id like but that may be a thermostat issue. I did take the thermostat out when I got home soaked it in vinegar and then tried it in hot water...watched it open fine.
I guess I'm thinking I should replace what I th8nk is called a wear plate and the impeller. Any thoughts...?
Especially if you can make anything out of this post.

Thought I'd ask this as well... once removed there was a piece attached to my water impeller casing that went to the exhaust...the bolts actually went though this piece and held the water impeller case as well. I have no manual and only watched a few YouTube videos ...never seen this piece in any related videos.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

General tips for inspecting a water pump. Here are two common issues we see "all the time" There are more but these are the two most common.
If the wear plate or the cup has a groove in it that you can hook a fingernail in. Replace it or them. Usually a complete pump is needed.
Check to see if the cup can be removed from the housing it rides in. If not, check and see if the cup is or has melted into the housing. Do NOT run...replace!
We get folks all the time coming into the shop asking for an impeller. Some bring their pumps with them and we will find one or both of the above issues more times than not.
Why shouldn't you run it with grooves? Because the grooves allow water to by-pass or slip from the pressure side of the impeller blade to the next blade back. Both volume and pressure are decreased. Do you really want to run this pump for another several years while the impeller takes a set and further reduces volume and pressure?
Pumps are less expensive than powerheads. Pretty simple stuff.

Thanks Pappy...I ended up buying the whole kit and glad I did. I bought this outboard used and when I seen the new parts I knew something was up. I was missing at least 1 gasket the "wear plate" was grooved , impeller was about 32'd worn and there were 2 stripped bolts that I got away with just putting longer ones in. I think the combination was why it never pumped strong before....still haven't tried it.
I took some pictures and if I take them off the computer I might post them....kit was under $100 bucks Canadian switch I thought was cheap. I also learned to buy my parts at the Yamaha dealer and not the Mercury dealer....they wanted $70 just for the impeller at Mercury.... $30 at Yamaha...both Yamaha parts.

Thanks Pappy...I ended up buying the whole kit and glad I did. I bought this outboard used and when I seen the new parts I knew something was up. I was missing at least 1 gasket the "wear plate" was grooved , impeller was about 32'd worn and there were 2 stripped bolts that I got away with just putting longer ones in. I think the combination was why it never pumped strong before....still haven't tried it.
I took some pictures and if I take them off the computer I might post them....kit was under $100 bucks Canadian switch I thought was cheap. I also learned to buy my parts at the Yamaha dealer and not the Mercury dealer....they wanted $70 just for the impeller at Mercury.... $30 at Yamaha...both Yamaha parts.