1974 Evinrude 25Hp Plug Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FormerParatrooper

Reaction score
Looking at my service manual, it specifies Champion UJ4J plugs. Looking for the plugs I see several alternate replacements. Is there a particular plug anyone has found to be best that replaced the original?

I have replaced them with others and have gone back to the stock plugs. Seem to work better for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By "alternate" Do you mean brand, manufacturer, heat range, electrode material etc?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Both brand and heat range. I had a 20 that didn't want to idle/troll very long without loading up and fouling. The previous owner had selected ngk in a higher heat range. I read up on the subject and put a pair of 4J's in it and presto, it ran great. It's unexplainable to me but others have had similar experiences. Ngk makes a fine plug, and are in most of my small engines. But my johnnyrudes get factory spec plugs now.

WALI4VR said:
By "alternate" Do you mean brand, manufacturer, heat range, electrode material etc?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I was not finding those particular plugs just lists of alternate plugs. Maybe I have the wrong impression but I thought tbe plugs were no longer available.

63b8b7560c7e3b7f090b17a07879a68f.jpg