help with throttle cable

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hazmat

Reaction score
Thanks For The add. Nice forum, alot of info.. I searched here, other places; and YouTube not really a clear answer. I bought a 2000 1648 polar kraft with a 83 70hp johnson. The is my first boat with a console. My question is about my throttle and throttle cable. The first photo is in neutral, second is in forward,and the third is how far I have to push the throttle for anything to happen,and the throttle cable moves. This might be normal, I just want to check and make sure. It just seems there's alot of travel or play in the cable. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20170708_154949.jpg
    20170708_154949.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 900
  • 20170708_155004.jpg
    20170708_155004.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 900
  • 20170708_155021.jpg
    20170708_155021.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 900
It doesn't appear normal to me. On the ones that I have had (many) once you click out of neutral, the engine revs higher with each half inch forward that you push the lever.

I'd guess that somewhere,.... the outer cable is no longer fastened tight and it is just bending outward. I think that the outer cable should be held tight, and the inner cable/shaft should be moving forward.

What does the connection look like on the engine end? Is it fastened solidly inside of the cowling? There is a clamp that holds the outer cable tight on that end, I believe.

richg99

p.s. I am probably the least informed on engine issues on this site, but, common sense is still common sense.... even for me.

As I woke up this morning, I thought of your description.

When I push forward on my console throttle, it clicks to a stop at, perhaps, a 1/3 way forward. Leaving it there, the engine is running at a slow speed and the prop is engaged. I actually use that setting a lot coming into my small harbor which is marked (No Wake).

If I push the throttle past that first stop, then every move forward increases my engine speed. Does that sound like what you get?

I am hoping Pappy or some others better versed in engines will pipe in.

richg99

For the gear cable, IIRC my OMC OEM service manual for the controls has one (w/ OB end disconnected) put the control shift into FWD, then 1/2-way back to neutral. Then set the OB connection in place there. Adjust - if needed - to ensure positive shifting.

For the throttle cable, I also recall you install it with the gear shift (by the remote control as set above) shifted into FWD. You should be able to spin the locking plastic tab (locked under the retainer bar at the OB end) to remove much of the slop. If you remove too much slop, it will increase your idle RPMs, but you then just back off a 1/2-turn or so.

First off that spring has to go......................no need for it.
Secondly I think we are talking about some very used cables from the sound of it. Cables are inexpensive and well worth it. Good chance to disassemble, clean and lubricate the control box as well. Will pay off in spades as far as ease of operation goes.
Your throttle is a push to open as far as the cable goes. By the very nature of this there is some built in slop in it.
When adjusting, the cable should pull the throttle completely shut (See? No need for that spring) and have a bit of tension on it to keep it closed. Now, since it is a pull to close and push to open you have to go through all the slop or tolerances before something happens. The more parts that are worn out the worse this is hence the new cable comment.
The gear shift cable should only be adjusted in neutral. Place the engine in neutral and find the "slop center" of the cable attachment point. Find the cable "slop center" and adjust the trunnion to where the cable will slip in and on without moving the engine end. Everything on the gear side is adjusted to the engine...not the other way around.
Your description is not clear. You mention the slop but then state the throttle cable moves. You did not state the throttle linkage moves..........clarify.

Yes, the throttle linkage move at the point in the picture. Far as the gears go, it shifts in neutral, forward, reverse fine. The throttle cable might need to be replace. The guy I bought it from said he replaced the cables last year, but never know. I was wondering about that spring. Wouldn't sure, figured it was on there for a reason. Wheres I good place to get a manual to the motor from?

Hazmat said:
Yes, the throttle linkage move at the point in the picture. Far as the gears go, it shifts in neutral, forward, reverse fine. The throttle cable might need to be replace. The guy I bought it from said he replaced the cables last year, but never know. I was wondering about that spring. Wouldn't sure, figured it was on there for a reason. Wheres I good place to get a manual to the motor from?

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14047 Go to page 5 for the latest login and password.

Latest posts