raising 9.9 long shaft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattl468

Reaction score
I was wondering if it would be ok to raise a 9.9 long shaft by using a piece of 2x12 that would be bolted to the back of the transom

I did that once, to mount a 9.9 kicker motor. 2x12 softwood, but with a nice coat of urethane to make it look good. Lucky I was holding onto the tiller when it cracked while underway in some turbulent seas off Port Canaveral, and came completely free. Somehow I managed to manhandle it into the boat still running without either losing it, swamping the boat, falling overboard, wacking something with the prop, or overheating it.

Other than that it was a great idea.

Smallmouth, all I can say is YIKES. Glad you managed to pull it off but that had to be a pretty scary situation.

Matt, if you do this at least make sure the grain runs vertically. I've seen some that use aluminum reinforcements. Unfortunately I am unable to direct you to a specific post/thread that covers this, but I know they are there.

Would a inexpensive manual jack plate be a solution to this problem? Or is the 5 inch or so needed rise be too much for a jack plate?

I am very interested in the OP question because I am thinking of using my longshaft 9.9 which is currently on an old pontoon boat and placing in on either a Gheenoe or small jon boat.

Fadec

I did mine 3 inches. I wished I ran the transom extender all the way across the transom. From port to starboard. Helps with keeping waves from washing over the transom. Maybe 1 pc 3/4 all the way across and the other 3/4 just under the motor. Remember no treated wood against aluminum.

I know this isn't as cheap as the wood idea but why not get a Garelick or Panther unit?

Here's a homemade aluminum riser, luckily the guy I bought the motor from included it with the motor. It was originally made to raise the motor 5", but I modified it for a 3 1/4" rise to fit my need. There is a 40/30 Yamaha jet mounted on it, so far so good!

Attachments

• DSCN0153.JPG
    DSCN0153.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 1,271
overboard said:
Here's a homemade aluminum riser, luckily the guy I bought the motor from included it with the motor. It was originally made to raise the motor 5", but I modified it for a 3 1/4" rise to fit my need. There is a 40/30 Yamaha jet mounted on it, so far so good!

I made one similar to this for my Johnson 50/35. Had to raise it 5" or 6", don't remember exactly. Had to run square tube supports from the top of my transom riser to the top of the gunwale on each side. The extra torque added with the transom riser caused some flex at the transom caps and welds. The supports solved the problem and all has been well in the 4 years it's been on. Would post pictures, but the whole Photobucket thing, so....