1967 Evinrude 9.5 Sportwin

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cupper520

Reaction score
I need help I took apart the gear housing to clean it, on inspection I found that the pin were the gear has to line up is either broke or slid down. Is there anyway to fix it.
Thank you

Pappy said:
Yes we can help but you have to be wayyy more specific than that. I have had many of these apart.
You have the forward gear then the shift gear then the revirse gear when you put them all in you have the revirse gear were the gear has a slot in it and should line up with a pin that is in there.
Thank you for taking the time for me.

That's the line up for the bushing. Only way it slides down is if it was not lined up and you assembled the unit and tightened down the screws. They don't slide down by themselves.
You can get them out by drilling and tapping a tiny hole and then use a screw to lift it out. Loctite it back in after cleaning it and let the loctite dry.
When they fight me I take the part off the assembly and just put it in place in the housing then make line up marks with a marker to help line it back up on the pin when it goes together. You will feel it drop in.
Why was it apart? Water? If so I hope you changed out the shift rod O-ring while there.