While on Vacation...........!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappy

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
YOUTUBE
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pappyfromthekeys
Not sure how many here appreciate where our love of outboards came from historically. I am probably one of the few who like to go back in time to an earlier but not necessarily more simple time in boating and outboarding.
Took ten days and drove from Central Florida up to Tomahawk Wis. for the annual Antique Outboard show and swap meet. This is a national meet and was the biggest get together I have ever seen to date. Vintage and antique outboards and parts EVERYWHERE! Boats as well.
Pulled a decent sized trailer loaded with engines to sell and also more engines and "stuff" along with a friend of mine to share expenses with.
Took my Ram Ecodiesel 4wd. 2996 miles at an average of 19.9mpg at usually around 70-72mph. Not bad for two people and a lotttt of gear and a trailer.
The meet takes place on an abandoned runway from a closed municipal airport along the Tomawawk River. Folks from several countries and all over the US come every year to find those hard to get engines and unobtanium parts. This is "the place" for it.
Anyway........
While there I found an engine I have been trying to find for the last two plus years. The engine was made from 1929 through around 1932 or so and was produced by Lockwood, ELTO, Evinrude, and Sea King. I found an incredible example of a 1929 ELTO (Evinrude Light Twin Outboard). It is an opposed twin cylinder producing 2.75hp and it folds up to store small while traveling with it. This one came with the box, original tool bag as well as original tools! The original decal is almost entirely still intact. No fasteners have been turned on the engine anywhere that I can see and the starting instructions on it are the best I and others have ever seen. Still has the round copper stamped initial mixture setting tag wired to the mixture screw as well. That can be seen in the last photo.
Keep in mind that this engine is completely original and unrestored in any way. It came from Montana of all places and wound up in Tomahawk to find a new home.
And.......got it running in about three hours time!
Here is a video of the event. This is before all the vendors were there and set up but we were set up. We had the only orange tent! You can see the box the engine came in on the right side in the back of my Ram pick-up. Bunch of Florida folks were in the tent but I was out hunting parts or engines I guess.
I cannot get the video to paste properly here so go to YouTube and type in "Tomahawk Day 1" and find the one that says mid day and view it. Richard white did the drone work and you can look at others by him if interested. Many of you have purchased special tools from him!

Last edited:
Sounds like you have had a blast up there! That is an awesome find! I've been enamored with the small antique outboards as well, although I don't partake in the collecting or anything. I did get my dad's old Mighty Mite II running years ago for fun though and ever since then, I've always admired all the little 2 stroke beauties.

Not sure how many here appreciate where our love of outboards came from historically. I am probably one of the few who like to go back in time to an earlier but not necessarily more simple time in boating and outboarding.
Took ten days and drove from Central Florida up to Tomahawk Wis. for the annual Antique Outboard show and swap meet. This is a national meet and was the biggest get together I have ever seen to date. Vintage and antique outboards and parts EVERYWHERE! Boats as well.
Pulled a decent sized trailer loaded with engines to sell and also more engines and "stuff" along with a friend of mine to share expenses with.
Took my Ram Ecodiesel 4wd. 2996 miles at an average of 19.9mpg at usually around 70-72mph. Not bad for two people and a lotttt of gear and a trailer.
The meet takes place on an abandoned runway from a closed municipal airport along the Tomawawk River. Folks from several countries and all over the US come every year to find those hard to get engines and unobtanium parts. This is "the place" for it.
Anyway........
While there I found an engine I have been trying to find for the last two plus years. The engine was made from 1929 through around 1932 or so and was produced by Lockwood, ELTO, Evinrude, and Sea King. I found an incredible example of a 1929 ELTO (Evinrude Light Twin Outboard). It is an opposed twin cylinder producing 2.75hp and it folds up to store small while traveling with it. This one came with the box, original tool bag as well as original tools! The original decal is almost entirely still intact. No fasteners have been turned on the engine anywhere that I can see and the starting instructions on it are the best I and others have ever seen. Still has the round copper stamped initial mixture setting tag wired to the mixture screw as well. That can be seen in the last photo.
Keep in mind that this engine is completely original and unrestored in any way. It came from Montana of all places and wound up in Tomahawk to find a new home.
Here is a video of the event. This is before all the vendors were there and set up but we were set up. We had the only orange tent! You can see the box the engine came in on the right side in the back of my Ram pick-up. Bunch of Florida folks were in the tent but I was out hunting parts or engines I guess.
I cannot get the video to paste properly here so go to YouTube and type in "Tomahawk Day 1" and find the one that says mid day and view it. Richard white did the drone work and you can look at others by him if interested. Many of you have purchased special tools from him!

What a beautiful find and what an event I bet it was a lot of fun. I enjoyed your videos and others

I actually didn't know they made a motor with a hinge in the middle like that. Congrats on the find and thanks for sharing.
Most folks know about the later model 3hp engines that folded but yes, you are correct about not many people knowing about the ones from back in this era.
May have found another one tonight of the other design. A good friend found one today and called me and sent pics. It has been restored very nicely but I like the nice originals better......we shall see depending on the price.

Wow, great find in such a condition - good for you!
Thanks Dale ! Lesa and I are pretty proud of this one. Lesa likes the other design better and they are actually a bit smaller due to the design but the condition this one is in is hard to beat. I will put some comparison pics up here to show the two different designs.

Last edited:
Here is a comparison between the two designs of the very early folding engines.

Front of engine

ges.org/]
IMG-2786.jpg
[/url]

Side shots

Rear shots

Top of engine

Note that front of this engine is at the top of the photo (fuel tank faces forward)

And on the second pic (below) the front of the engine has the tank at the rear.

Last edited:
Anyway........

What an amazing motor you found. Sounds like you had a great trip. I didn't realize they made a motor like that. It's looks in such good shape also. Glad your back.

Latest posts