2020 Suzuki DF9.9B

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samuelh1987

Reaction score
Took delivery of a new Suzuki DF9.9B last week. First EFI motor. Took advantage of the Suzuki since it's easy to convert to a 15/20 if I end up with a larger hull down the road.

Attachments

• KIMG0288.JPG
    KIMG0288.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 353
  • KIMG0287.JPG
    KIMG0287.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 353
I have the 2016 DF9.9BT and have updated to the 20HP.

Just in case you decide to mod, here is a list of what I did.

Spark arestor - $15
Induction Tach - $20
9 1/4 X 11 prop - $40
ECU - $265

Speed increase from 15mph (6000rpm) to 20.4 mph (6320rpm) WOT.

I changed the spark arestor first, and got probably 15HP (17mph) or close, but the engine would go into RPM limiting at WOT.
I then installed an induction tach and found the RPMs slightly high, so changed the prop. Still had RPM limiting at WOT.
I then replaced the ECU and no RPM limiting at WOT.

Good info! I've already maxed out what id consider "safe" speed on this hull. I'll definitely keep that in mind for future boats. 20mph on a 12' X 4' V is scary lol

samuelh1987 said:
Took delivery of a new Suzuki DF9.9B last week. First EFI motor. Took advantage of the Suzuki since it's easy to convert to a 15/20 if I end up with a larger hull down the road.

I'd be interested in knowing when your oil change monitor starts flashing the first time during the break-in period . . . mine started just a few hours after I installed it which tells me the factory must have run it a while to test before shipment.

I've had it running for 10-ish hours so far. Mine came out of the box with a damaged impeller (which is what I get for buying off the internet vs local) Online outboards made it right and sent me a new water pump. It's been flawless since.

PATRIOT2 said:
samuelh1987 said:

I'd be interested in knowing when your oil change monitor starts flashing the first time during the break-in period . . . mine started just a few hours after I installed it which tells me the factory must have run it a while to test before shipment.

I kinda kept track of the time, and think it was close to 20 hours. Now I have a induction tachometer that keeps track of hours and displays RPMs. I don't put 100 hours yearly on it, so I use the calendar period, change the oil yearly, and reset the monitor.

I may break down and buy the Suzuki SDS kit, which is like and ODB2 scanner. It shows historical RPM data, hours, and faults.

aftermarket sds kits at 65-70 isnt bad at all. I never thought about that. A decent tiny tach is nearly that much.

samuelh1987 said:
aftermarket sds kits at 65-70 isnt bad at all. I never thought about that. A decent tiny tach is nearly that much.

Got an SDS aftermarket kit for my Suzuki for $64. Works Great.

Here is one of the downloads that I got while running the engine.

The total engine hours and oil change hours are low because this is a new ECM.

Attachments

• DF9.9 Run Data.pdf
    192.5 KB · Views: 19
that's awesome! entire life of the engine at your finger tips. I purchased my first Inflatable for use with the family (SIB with aluminum floor / transom). Its rated for 15hp so we'll see how the 9.9 does before making adjustments.

DaleH said:
samuelh1987 said:
Its rated for 15hp so we'll see how the 9.9 does before making adjustments.
Word is you replace the existing restrictor to the 'arrestor' of the 15hp and PRESTO ... you have about a 15hp motor.

I went with the 20hp arrestor, some people drill out the 9.9 restrictor or just remove it. I’m pretty sure that will get you close to a 15hp, but you will have rev limiting at 6000rpm.

The 20hp ECU solves the rev limiting and gets you up to the 20hp.

InSaneFisherMan said:
DaleH said:
samuelh1987 said:
Its rated for 15hp so we'll see how the 9.9 does before making adjustments.
Word is you replace the existing restrictor to the 'arrestor' of the 15hp and PRESTO ... you have about a 15hp motor.

I went with the 20hp arrestor, some people drill out the 9.9 restrictor or just remove it. I’m pretty sure that will get you close to a 15hp, but you will have rev limiting at 6000rpm.

The 20hp ECU solves the rev limiting and gets you up to the 20hp.

There are also some good videos on YouTube that shows the conversion.

samuelh1987 said:

I dunno . . . finally got my real DF20ATS thru the break-in period this week and it tops out at 25mph WOT (not that speed really matters) on the same hull that I ran my old Nissan NS15B carbed 2-stroke at 21 mph. The difference in fuel mileage was incredible and only having to carry less than half the fuel; 6.2 mpg on the 2-stroke vs. 15 mpg on the 4-stroke.

PATRIOT2 said:
samuelh1987 said:

I dunno . . . finally got my real DF20ATS thru the break-in period this week and it tops out at 25mph WOT (not that speed really matters) on the same hull that I ran my old Nissan NS15B carbed 2-stroke at 21 mph. The difference in fuel mileage was incredible and only having to carry less than half the fuel; 6.2 mpg on the 2-stroke vs. 15 mpg on the 4-stroke.

Congrats, the break in is a pain. I am still enjoying my df9.9!