Paint Friendly Degreaser

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Still Afloat

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a paint-friendly degreaser? I recently purchased a Suzuki DF9.9/20 and had to lay it on its side for transport. Some oil leaked into the housing and I’d like to clean it up without damaging the paint. The motor is almost new and I’d like to keep it looking that way.

I don’t think it’s leaking any longer but, as it warms up the residual oil is dripping down and leaving a film on the lake. I‘d like to keep my environmental impact on the water as low as possible so I want to clean it up before taking it out again.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I was probably over thinking this. I read once that WD40 was made from fish. Maybe I try it first.

Dawn would probably work well for cleaning the seal between the cowling and lower housing.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I was probably over thinking this. I read once that WD40 was made from fish. Maybe I try it first.

Water Displacement formula #40. Didn't even have to look it up! I'm a fountain of useless information :ROFLMAO:

Maybe it means water displacement by 40 fish, or could one 40 pound fish. :ROFLMAO:

Anyone use it on their lures?

Another vote for simple green. 50/50 water dilution. Even 25/75 should still clean it if you are worried it is too strong of a concentration.
I have seen full strength simple green take of paint, so definetly cut with water. It does work well but can often leave a film. A quick followup wash with some dawn will remove rhe film.