Paint for Rusty Trailer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john3

Reaction score
I'm a rookie - I admit it.

Here's what I have: I just bought a 16' Dilly Jon Boat Trailer. It has been sitting outside and has many rust spots. Not only that it looks like crap! Anyhow - considering Bass Pro wants $1100 for a jon trailer - I think I can make this one work out.

So here is my question: I want a nice looking coat of paint on the trailer that will also help with my rusting problem. Any ideas?

Would you mind to help me with instructions on sanding, primer (if necessary), and paint? Like I said, I'm a rookie!

Thanks for your help.

-John

There is a product called por15 it is used mainly for classick cars they have coatings for frames and alot of other things. it is kinda expensive but a little goes along way. you can just get off the loose rust and paint right over the rest and it will not rust again. i used it on my 1969 gto. its very durable but dont get it on your skin because i did and it doesent come off with any thing but time. [-X hope this helps

X2 on the por15. I used it on the bottom of my project car. Good stuff, you will have to topcoat some of it because it will react to uv. They explain it on the website.

I used farm implement paint from Tractor Supply with the hardener. I made the decision to go all the way down to bare metal and individual parts when I re-did my trailer. It was time consuming but I'm totally pleased with the results. You can see my build with the link in my signature. Which reminds me, I need to post the final pictures from the trailer - I've already started on the boat.

I went with the Grinder with the 3m paint strippin discs and Herculiner bed liner stuff 2 coats.

BEFORE

190483_1882761118434_1523539454_2030244_1924265_n.jpg

Loose paint, scale, rusty

Used about 11 of these to strip the entire trailer - no wires poking me no sparks to speak of
and strip FAST..... now sandblasting may of been eaiser in the end but.....

mediawebserver

3m Roloc™ Bristle Discs
Disc is a molded, abrasive filled bristle disc instead of wire brushes for automotive use on aluminum and metal. Use for deburring, blending, finishing, polishing, cleaning and for coating, defect, scratch and rust removal.

199670_1889379443888_1523539454_2040865_1039131_n.jpg

As far as I could bring myself to go about 4 hours of work. Lots of spaces to try
and get into. Not easy.

Not to bad looking for a 1976 Trailer now.

199382_1892672766219_1523539454_2043558_3538560_n.jpg

225235_1996873091162_1523539454_2196347_306879_n.jpg

I do sell the Rustolem at work and have used it. VERY GOOD STUFF! My problem was
the temperature was below 50 degrees and i just couldnt use paint and get it done on time for
the rest of the build.

I also use Rustoleum paint on my trailer. I just sand or wire wheel it down to a somewhat smooth finish and splash paint on it with a brush and roller with no primer. I just want a somewhat finished look to the trailer as I know there's probably rust on the inside of the square tubing. The last trailer I did this to was sold after four years of use in fresh and salt water.

My second boat's trailer was so bad it had large holes in it so just opted to buy a brand new trailer for that one which I still have.

This is my third trailer I just picked up last week. It has a lot of surface rust but pretty solid.

newtomeboat001.jpg