Electrical interference question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mofro812

Reaction score
I'm in the planning stages on my renovation and had a question regarding the wiring. I have a TM connected to a Deep Cycle battery, and the 25hp Johnson electric start on a separate marine cranking battery. When I go to rewire, I will be adding a AM/FM radio and a marine radio. My question is, if I wire these off of the marine cranking battery with the motor, will either radio interfere with my Humminbird 550 Fishfinder? I plan on keeping the TM on a separate battery, basically it's own battery. Gonna run a fused switchbox off the cranking battery and run accessories from it, just wondering if I needed to use Noise Reduction boxes so it doesn't screw with my Fishfinder?

Thanks in advance for any info and advice!

it shouldn't mess up anything... i run my fish finder and radio off the same batteries - and without a switchbox, just wired directly to the battery

Thanks for the reply, just trying to think ahead. I don't know how sensitive those type of electronics are so I figured someone on here would know through experience. I'm gonna run everything through a fused switch panel, and have the TM dedicated to a separate battery.

you won't have any problems with that setup... They are making electronics today a lot less susceptible to outside interference

russ010 said:
it shouldn't mess up anything... i run my fish finder and radio off the same batteries - and without a switchbox, just wired directly to the battery

and the reason he doesn't have electrical nosie is becuase he runs the wires off the battery. IF oyu use the neutral/hot for both devices, you will get noise. If you run a seperate neutral/hot back to the battery (fused or circuit breaker) you'll be fine.