Small jet setup

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sightfish

Reaction score
This one has probably been beat to death but wanted some input from guys that have run small jet outboard setups. Found a 2000 model mercury 2 stroke 25/20HP jet in great condition for sale. Are these things good for anything? Seems like people keep saying 40HP minimum for pretty much any outboard jet rig, but I'm not wanting a speed boat and willing to sacrifice some performance for portability, cost, etc. Just don't wanted to buy something totally worthless.

What do you all think is a fair price for this motor in perfect condition? The guy has it on a 1542 war eagle and as expected the setup is a slow piece of junk. Won't plane with two people and no gear.

So, if motor is good for anything, trying to figure out best/lightest riveted boat for this motor. Should I go 14' or 16'? Thinking of a 14' with pods to reduce weight but don't know if 16' would be better? If so, which pods, where can I get these pods, and about how much $$? If 14 footer, should I put this on a 14' X 48" or 14' x 52" riveted boat? Reason I'm asking is because found good deal on a 52". I assume the 52" will be a little heavier but will the width advantages offset the weight? Me and a friend (200lbs each) will be using to get to a place to fish and we will have no more than 50 - 100 lbs of extra weight. I know we are riding the limits of what this motor can do so any input/advice would be great.

I just got rid of my Mercury 25/20 on my 1448 G3 it ran good with me alone with two people you could feel the weight but it managed you aren't going to set any speed records but it works I've jumped up to a 40/28 Yamaha now and it made a world of difference

That motor is probably ok for 1 person in a 12-14' boat, but with 2 people you probably want 15-17' and then will need more power. I have a 1652 with a 60/45 jet and it cruises nicely at 2/3 throttle with just me in it. But once I add 1 or 2 people, I need to run at a higher rpm to go upstream but at least I have the power to do it.

Would you put this motor on a 14 or 16 riveted boat? Any recommendations on a particular brand that is lightest? Also, is the center keel on most of these boats a problem for the jet?

I can't really say, my boat is a tunnel jet so I can't compare mine to a normal mod v boat.

Ran a 25hp Mercury on both an 1836 Alumaweld (pre- Xpress) and a 1448 Alumacraft. Both were rigged with a 12 volt trolling motor, battery, 6 gallon fuel cell and a small deck on the bow. Both ran fine with just me and my gear in the boat. When another person and their gear was added to the boats, the 1836 still did "OK". The 1448 really struggled to get on plane and run effeciently. Based on my experiences, I would ONLY run a 25 if I ONLY fished by myself and had a very small light gauge boat.

Regarding the center keel question, I'm on my 3rd river boat ranging from the aforementioned to our current 1650 with 90hp Yamaha. All have had the center keel running the length of the boat and we've not had any issues with performance because of that.

I had the same jet on an alumacraft 1648 riveted and it would easily get me and another bigger guy on plane with our gear. You will not set any speed records with 2 guys and gear but it will plane out.

My 1648 blazer with a Johnson 3cyl 25 jet struggled to get on plane with 2 people (took a loooong time).
I upgraded the powerhead to 35 hp and it has helped a lot.

My 2 cts is that a 40/28 really should be the minimum on most boats (unless you have a light 1542).

I run a 30/20 Johnson on a very light 16 foot glass boat, I can touch 30 with just myself, 2 guys and gear is my max. I can do 3 guys but I'm barely planed out, I'd jump up to a 40/30 but I'm worried I'd lose to much draft. I'm probably going to take it in this winter and have it built and have the pump gone through, hopefully I'll gain an extra 5-10mph.

I had the same motor on a 1648 alumacraft square front rivited boat and it ran great with 2 guys. Just keep your weight down and it is one of the shallowest drafting jet/boat combinations out there.

I had a Mercury 25 jet on 16 Towee glass skif did great with 2 big guys no problem , sold the boat hated to see that motor go . Great little motor.

i have a 30/25 4-stroke merc on a 1648 riveted jon boat. Believe it or not, it will plane with three 170 pound people on board including the driver. As the guy at the marina in Billings Montana told me, with this motor you will get more speed out of a 14' boat if you only have two people in the boat, but if you have three people in the boat you will want a 16' boat. I trust him and my experience tells me his advice is correct. With three 170 lb males on board and minimal fishing tackle I would guess we would be getting 15 to 17 mph on the lake; we were on the river though when I had the GPS. My boat does have a center keel by the way. I haven't heard from anyone that flattened out that center keel but would love to hear if it would help out or not.