Decking-When and when not to.

Boating related questions, small projects, custom work and talk go here.
bandgeek1263

Post by bandgeek1263 »

cyberflexx wrote:When I took my 1432 Alumacraft out for the 1st time, I stood up on the middle seat and I felt a little tippy. I am wondering since the deck will be a larger area, and if i stood with my feet from front to back instead of side by side, if it would be more stable for me. I think i am going to go ahead and deck it and just get my sea legs more use to the tipping. I might make the deck a little more shallow than behing the height of the seat too..
I will probably end up doing that too.
I intend to live forever, or die trying.

My Mod: 'Fraid Knot

pbw

Post by pbw »

my 14x38 is pretty stable, been fishing it more this year now. Two people in the boat one on front deck one on the rear and it does great.
PBW

smoody

Post by smoody »

I have a 1448 and 2 people can stand on the front deck and fish and the boat does not tip.

cyberflexx

Post by cyberflexx »

Zum wrote:
cyberflexx wrote:When I took my 1432 Alumacraft out for the 1st time, I stood up on the middle seat and I felt a little tippy. I am wondering since the deck will be a larger area, and if i stood with my feet from front to back instead of side by side, if it would be more stable for me. I think i am going to go ahead and deck it and just get my sea legs more use to the tipping. I might make the deck a little more shallow than behing the height of the seat too..
If your fishing by yourself,it's only going to be alittle problem...
with a partner,it's going to be a pain.

Decked it to the middle seat after my buddy telling me we can change it if it doesnt work, and I am really glad I did it. I have the deck the height of the bench and we wanted to test out the supports that we installed so we threw up some ghetto plywood that wasnt even cut to shape. It worked very well after I got use to the movement of the boat. As long as we told each other we were making a drastic move, we were OK. I say give it a try, if you dont like, re-do it. =D>
Alumacraft Build
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8876

Carolina Skiff J14 Mods
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=27593

My fishing Rigs:
2009 Yukon Denali XL
2004 Ranger 519VX Comanche Ranger Cup
2004 Mercury EFI 200HP
2009 Tohatsu 9.8hp / electric start/ shortshaft
1999 Carolina Skiff J-14

QMR

Post by QMR »

If you had a 42" or less bottom, could an outrigger be made to add stability, while not fast moving and fishing/trolling slow?
Thoughts?

ben2go

Post by ben2go »

I have seen them made out of 8' 2x2's and boat fenders.They aren't used until they were trolling.

fatman47172

Post by fatman47172 »

This is the best post I have seen as far as helping with decking a boat. Any boat can be deck but there is a limit due to the safety factor and the best thing to do is to realize that what you are looking for is a flat surface. The higher the better but the key is a flat surface to stand on. That is what I based my project plan on. I have a Landau 1437 and my front deck is about 6" high. It gives me a good flat surface and also the wake is almost null. I am 5'-9" and weigh 215 and it works great. It does everything I need it to. This is a good post and I hope alot of people read this.

GMC

Post by GMC »

Hi all, First time poster, just want to say that I have been trolling the site and its great, full of great info.
Im looking into buying this boat and was wondering how far up you all would take the decking up? The seller told me that the bottom is 36" and the top is 56". From what I have read its looks like a good idea to just take it to the top of the seats, I would like to maybe go a couple inches below the top for the front deck and keep it level with the seats in the back deck. Leaving the middle with a open lower floor.Hope that makes sence. Here is a pic to get a look.
Thanks
Gary
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ben2go

Post by ben2go »

I wouldn't go very high,maybe to the center of the hull where the side rail is.36 inch floor can be very tippy especially with tall of heavy people.I am 5'8" and 210lbs.I feel like I am balancing on a ball when I stand on the deck of 1436.It's decked to the top of the benches.

jigster60

Post by jigster60 »

Great post....We want everyone to leave and arrive safely from there fishing trips....JIGGY

GMC

Post by GMC »

Thanks for the reply Ben2go. Maybe for the front I will just build a deck to go between the front 2 seats that way I will be able to get to the live well/or cooler. Then for the back just take 3/4 plywood and mount it to the back section. Thanks againg for the info.
Gary

ben2go

Post by ben2go »

You're welcome.Sounds like a good plan.

cyberflexx

Post by cyberflexx »

GMC wrote:Hi all, First time poster, just want to say that I have been trolling the site and its great, full of great info.
Im looking into buying this boat and was wondering how far up you all would take the decking up? The seller told me that the bottom is 36" and the top is 56". From what I have read its looks like a good idea to just take it to the top of the seats, I would like to maybe go a couple inches below the top for the front deck and keep it level with the seats in the back deck. Leaving the middle with a open lower floor.Hope that makes sence. Here is a pic to get a look.
Thanks
Gary

I took mine from the middle seat to the front deck. The front deck is about an inch higher than the rest of my decking, it makes a nice little stopper for my trolling motor pedal so I didnt have to bolt it in place. The spot between the rear seat and middle on my boat is open with an aluminum floor and the rear has a deck with battery / fuel tank lid.

Check my 1988 Alumacraft build thread for pictures..
Alumacraft Build
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8876

Carolina Skiff J14 Mods
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=27593

My fishing Rigs:
2009 Yukon Denali XL
2004 Ranger 519VX Comanche Ranger Cup
2004 Mercury EFI 200HP
2009 Tohatsu 9.8hp / electric start/ shortshaft
1999 Carolina Skiff J-14

teeeroy

Post by teeeroy »

ben2go wrote:I have seen them made out of 8' 2x2's and boat fenders.They aren't used until they were trolling.

I was thinking of doing something where the boat fenders were just attached to the side of the hull (presumably with rope) in a horizontal orientation. (See crude drawing.)

As high as I would have them, they would only be used if the tipping of the boat became too extreme, essentially preventing the boat from capsizing. Here's another example. I saw these on the show 'Hooked' in the episode about Alaskan herring fishing. They had these skiffs that had them because they often got close to other boats. Obviously, I'd be using them more for flotation.

What do you guys think? Can it be done?

danmyersmn

Post by danmyersmn »

Before I had the rig I have now I had a 16' wenonah spirit II. I made outriggers for it. Here is how I did it. I took 2 lobster pot buoy's and connected them together with 1/2" pvc pipe. I placed a piece of pipe through each buoy and put a cap on the end that is pointy on the bouy. I took the two flat wider parts of the bouys and put them towards each other and connected the 1/2" pvc together using a T. I went up from the bouys to a 45 degree and then went from that fitting to the boat using 1" pvc. I connected it to the bot using a stainless steel antenna mount. Did the same thing on the other side.

I based my build off this:

I found the ram mounts didn't work, that's why I went to the antenna mount.

I also tried the cast mount, then the plastic finally the stainless. The cast broke and the plastic flexxed too much. With the stainless I could leave them in the water while using a 3hp outboard on my canoe. It didn't turn too well though ;)
LEFT is right! The reel handle is properly oriented when it is on the left side.