14' JBoat Fixer Upper

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lolol forgot the majority of the holes were not as deep as the transom bolts.. ah well. I may cut em down.. or leave them.. thought about making a hatch/storage box in the back... if I do i'll leave em as they are.

Here is before I started sealing up.

20190918-142353.jpg

I had the same thing happen to me with bolts too long. What I did was to make one on each side 5 inches long and mount two extra props for the outboard on them and cut the rest down with a cut off tool from Harbor Freight that I got on sale for $10. When you get a motor, make sure you have enough room for the gas tank.100_0201.JPG I got this 3 gal steel tank for free and rebuilt it

Those look awesome, I will have to try and find one of those as well. They look brand new!

Screenshot-20190918-183955-Facebook.jpg

15/20 mins away..

Saw the black and blue Chattanooga Evinrude as well ($100 one)

Evidently that's not the right sea king lol, google had me reading about people not caring to much for these Chrysler motors. Gonna post a couple others in just a bit.

Screenshot-20190919-194043-Facebook.jpg

5hp Johnson seahorse runs fine needs a new pinion gear. Part only costs 30 dollars I just don't need the motor. Asking $250 OBO

Screenshot-20190919-194216-Facebook.jpg]

1954 johnson 10hp. Runs I have the original 6 gallon gas tank to go with it. New propeller

I like both of them but kinda lean toward the 10 horse. Although you probably could go on you tube and see how to replace that gear.
The sea king is a chrystler? oh oh , i goofed on that one. nice shape tho.

I like the johnson as well. I think there may be some other sea king series Johnson's or evinrudes, I just happend to see the Montgomery Ward and looked that up. There is a really good shape 6 HP Johnson but asking 650... does that sound about right? Actually its 750.. ehh

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/bpo/d/gainesville-johnson-6-hp/6969337377.html

Just finished my side bolts. I could not find 3/16 bolts anywhere. So I went with 1/4 instead. :

20190920-124242.jpg

Gotta get my aluminum cap today or tomorrow, if lowes has it. Plan to cut it to fit the top of my transom board and then drill through it and the transom for my final couple bolts. May get some 1" also to cap the spaces between the corner covers.

Then I'm set to paint a couple more coats of rustoleum, decal, etc!

I may paint over the bolt heads that arent on wood and may spar over the ones that are on wood, can only help seal it more I suppose.

Thanks Yellow!

$750 for an older Johnson seems a bit pricey to me. But if it's in excellent water ready shape it may be the way to go. I'd have to hear it run before I'd make an offer. Good motors are hard to find. If you bought one that needed a general tune up, you could easily spend $200 just for that. If it runs well at idle and flat out and pees good you may be money ahead in the long run. After all, a new one is probably close to $2000. My 55 took around $300 to get it back to top running condition.

20190921-122128.jpg

Caps are on. Bolted through and then a 1" cap riveted down cover the remaining parts. It over laps the 1.5" cap just a little but I think that's ok.

:lol:

If I can get 3-5 out of it I'll consider it worth it. The Wife told me yesterday "Why wouldn't you spend more money to get a boat that's already in good shape" lol. I haven't really done all that much really, but it looks a lot better than it did. I may end up selling the Minkota 55Lb I got with it to go toward the outboard. Gotta go get a tag for the trailer still and figure out what in the heck is going on with my tow wiring.

Cant promise I wont take it out and putt around a cove with the trolling motor, just to see how sealed up she is, and try to catch a fish or two.

Motor Hunting
There's a website called "Offer Up" you join for free and then browse the listings. Down here under Boats and Marine, there are quite a few outboards for sale. You might try it in Atlanta

Another excellent idea! I used offerup.. or maybe letgo.. which I think may be similar in the past. I will take a look there as well.

I found a 4 HP Johnson that looks almost same as that CL johnson for 220, add says it ran last year and they haven't tried starting it since(been in storage). Mentioned it may need carb cleaning before it will start.. I have a hard time trusting people lol

they both look good
the 4 may be the smallest you want to go and you're probably have to put a little work into it.
If the seller can start it up even for a few seconds, DO NOT run the motor out of water. You will destroy the impeller in the water pump.
The 9.9 gets my vote since it comes with a tank [ $60 new] depending of course on your budget
OOPS I misread it, the 4 comes with a tank. either way never run a motor dry.
I checked Marineengine.com and the 4 seems to be a 95 or96 twin cylinder good lil kicker.
A carb rebuilt kit is around $15 so that ain't bad.
If it's going to be mostly just you then the 4 should do nicely.

I'm Baaaack! Ended up having to put things on hold. We moved and finally got settled in.

The new house has a garage so that's a plus for these projects. Also have a metal carport(where shes been under since we got here).

Eyeing a 15 HP Evinrude 77 Model for $475 asking price. Looks to be in good condition and supposedly runs great.

Gonna start back up on this project soon!

Hope all is well everyone!