Fishing from shore

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm gage

Reaction score
Hey there!
Who likes fishing from shore? But doesn't like having to make multiple trips to the car to drag all your gear to your spot?
Well, I like to carry my tackle box
My fishing chair
A bait bucket
Two rods
And an umbrella.
That's quite a bit of stuff for sure!
Having played golf, I came up with a solution and you can too!
I put together a carry all out of a folding golf cart, a milk case. and pieces I had around the house. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

• 20171211_113626.jpg
    20171211_113626.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20171211_113634.jpg
    20171211_113634.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20171211_113653.jpg
    20171211_113653.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20171211_113703.jpg
    20171211_113703.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20171211_113734.jpg
    20171211_113734.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20171211_113800.jpg
    20171211_113800.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 1
  • 20171211_113930.jpg
    20171211_113930.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20171211_114010.jpg
    20171211_114010.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20171211_114127.jpg
    20171211_114127.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20171211_114403.jpg
    20171211_114403.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1
Just make sure to stash your stuff above the tide mark. My buddy lost everything to a rogue wave 2 months ago. (Yes, in Florida.) Tackle, cell phone, wallet, even the car keys.
Sucks when nature, fate, or karma smites thee.

Roger

I hear you. My son almost lost his then brand new fishing backpack that way. I lost my homemade surf rod holder once. It is probably in Japan by now.

Shore fishing, I remember doing a lot of that back before 99% of the shore was built up! I always managed to carry what I really needed it my pockets. Maybe a nice pair of cargo pants would save you some labor? I still prefer shore fishing to be honest. A shady spot with nobody around will always work. All you really need to carry is your pole, a 6 pack, and a rope to tie to it when you toss it into the lake.

Well when you don't have a boat and can't afford one you have to make do
Correct !! There were times I couldn't afford one either but was luckey enough to find free ones that folks wanted gone. Lots of improvised repairs made them float and had a good set of arms from rowing...ah...fond memories !!

There is a local reservoir that has boat rentals but no launching allowed. Otherwise it is basically shore fishing. Trout, Stripers, catfish, etc. I haven't been in a couple years. It was fun walking the bank tossing lures for trout.

A little incident happened to me about 20 years ago. I was at my sister's house who lives on a lake and a bass fisherman came up and tried to convince me there was no one allowed to fish from shore or a dock when there was a bass tournament going on. He was cursing me out for me fishing from her dock. He was very upset with me even threatening to call DNR on me if I didn't stop.

I like fishing from the shores of the local but small stocked lakes (more like large ponds) around my area. We have a few rivers that I fish as well. I carry a rifle with me to fend off the land critters if necessary. This type of fishing is a great way to get out into the wilderness and get some much needed exercise. This season I'll be bringing my new dog along. Pictures to follow, when it happens.

There is a local reservoir that has boat rentals but no launching allowed. Otherwise it is basically shore fishing. Trout, Stripers, catfish, etc. I haven't been in a couple years. It was fun walking the bank tossing lures for trout.

LD; I suggest this needs a bit of clarification. You can rent a boat, but not launch it?! Or is it a case of launching ONLY the rental boats?
If the latter, then it's not a legally standing contract. The reservoir would be funded by taxpayers, and that makes it public access, or no access. There was a (formerly) private lake east of me here in Iowa that had their dam wash out back in '08. They were asking for public monies to rebuild the dam, but didn't want to allow public access. That went nowhere rather quickly, and they changed their tune after the "lakefront" property values plummeted rather badly. The place is better today than it it was before the wash-out, and there's two public launch points.

Just my 2-pence.....Roger

Edit/post-script; Maybe there is a legitimate concern over the possibility of "outsider" boats transporting unwanted algae (or worse) into the reservoir, but that would still stink of favoritism for the rental shop.

The lake I grew up around was like that for many years. Someone sued the county, and now they allow kayaks and canoes. But I live far away from there nowadays.

I gave up shore fishing years ago. To much trash left behind by pigs !! Tired of pickin up after others, so I stick to my boat only.
i agree you airshot, if the so called game wardens would look at the trash when they are out and about supposedly watching us fish, how about looking at the trash some leave behind and cite them for that, HOW ABOUT THAT? Littering is a crime, too!

LD; I suggest this needs a bit of clarification. You can rent a boat, but not launch it?! Or is it a case of launching ONLY the rental boats?
If the latter, then it's not a legally standing contract. The reservoir would be funded by taxpayers, and that makes it public access, or no access. There was a (formerly) private lake east of me here in Iowa that had their dam wash out back in '08. They were asking for public monies to rebuild the dam, but didn't want to allow public access. That went nowhere rather quickly, and they changed their tune after the "lakefront" property values plummeted rather badly. The place is better today than it it was before the wash-out, and there's two public launch points.

Just my 2-pence.....Roger

Edit/post-script; Maybe there is a legitimate concern over the possibility of "outsider" boats transporting unwanted algae (or worse) into the reservoir, but that would still stink of favoritism for the rental shop.

It is a drinking water reservoir owned by the local water company. They have electric boats in the water for rental. Can't launch any privately owned kayaks, canoes, or boats. Swimming is not allowed.

It is a drinking water reservoir owned by the local water company. They have electric boats in the water for rental. Can't launch any privately owned kayaks, canoes, or boats. Swimming is not allowed.
Probably a liability issue, with people being so anxious to sue everyone for their own stupidity, no one wants to take the chance. Even with liability waivers people still sue and often win. We have way to many lawyers in this country !!

Probably a liability issue, with people being so anxious to sue everyone for their own stupidity, no one wants to take the chance. Even with liability waivers people still sue and often win. We have way to many lawyers in this country !!

Could be. I go to two other drinking water reservoirs that don't allow human contact with the water. However they do allow boating. One is pretty decent for trout.

Uh-HUH! And have any of you, while out fishing, stood up and taken a leak into the lake? I'd be willing to lose a $10 bet that there HAS been "human contact" with all of those reservoirs.

I will give them all credit for trying, though.

Humans ain't all that great.....Roger