My jet Jon build thread

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boz Mon said:
My issue is I can't shim the pump. It's one of those 1 piece Yamaha pumps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
maybe a little work but I imagine you should be able to "shim" the steering nozzle with a little ingenuity.

I'm currently exploring a few different options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I d cut my ride plate yesterday but there was a 10mph wind so I'm not sure if it made a difference. I do know that this boat doesn't like chop. We had like 2 foot rollers from the wind and it was constantly coming unhooked.

I did find a cove that was like glass and did a gps run. Managed a nice round 30mph

You can probably get an aftermarket +5 degree nozzle, or a +5 degree pump wedge that fits between the stator and the thrust nozzle (like Capt1972 mentioned) This will make a difference.

I looked all around. No one seems to make a wedge for the 144 yami pump. I should have a complete trim nozzle system by mid week though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

e726891a47fa3aec4b453bed2f25529d.jpg

Front crank seal failed on Friday. I will be swapping a 701 top end on the 650 bottom end. I'll be using the sbt cylinder exchange. New gaskets and seals all around. Needless to say it was an expensive weekend.

Yea the carb is a fresh rebuild. The spring for the front seal actually was stuck to the stator when I took the motor apart

3a78b1d1dbf8d266111b70c3cdc0c1da.jpg

17e742f29cfc1c60d5ede72d750f2241.jpg

Just a few minor things getting done while I wait for my motor parts to show up

They're just holes. The chrome rings are the trim ring from ceiling sprinklers.

b1c53c257c70975d0ff3fc469d4902ce.jpg
180b0b3418a93f9b15d2a35ed0991637.jpg

Got this thing back together over the weekend. I ended up finding 701 cases so the motor is now a true 701. Took it out for a bit and even with it running super rich on break in, I can tell a pretty big power difference. I'm not ready to take it far from home yet since the water is still cold and the boat is mostly untested.

I also am leery of the reliability of my floating contraption.

I (almost) always go upstream, & carry a trolling motor as a backup.

A cellphone & a wife aware of your float plan is a good backup too!

Little update on the boat. It was running really funny on Saturday. Felt like it was hitting a rev limiter. I did some testing and messing around. Swapped the coil out of my Yamaha stand up ski into the boat and it ran perfect.

I sent the boat coil to jet ski solutions on Monday to have new wires and boots fitted so hopefully the boat will be back on the water this weekend

Small update on the boat. It's been running good for awhile now with the new 701. I had to reinforce the front of the boat because it was caving in from water hitting it. This caused a few holes which I ended up through bolting with 5200. The boat seems to not be leaking much now.

I also have adjustable trim, and last night I swapped the prop out for a skat 12/17 swirl.

The boat is super fun and it gets up and goes pretty good. Me and my sister have been exploring backwaters on the river. Gps'd the boat at 33mph with me and her in it.

Boz Mon said:
been exploring backwaters on the river. .

This what Jet Jons are all about!

My engine (polaris 750) is in pcs, awaiting new crank.

Can't wait to skim over some shallows again!

Glad your boat is working good.

Skat swir prop is the best mood ever for this boat! It takes off from idle like a freight train and hookup in chop is improved a lot! Anyone who's on the fence about spending a lot of money on an aftermarket prop, do it!

Small update: the boat is slowly ripping itself apart still. I ended up taking the center bench out to reinforce the area from the front of the engine to just after the bench. It's the last part of the boat with no reinforcement and it's bad. The rivets are cracking from stress. When I pulled the boat out of the water there was a solid stream of water pissing out the bottom.

Hopefully this week the issue will be resolved. Who knew this would be the weak point of my build