Tracker V16 motor height

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For reference, I had the mod-V tracker with a 40 on it, and it did about 30 and felt great. It was rated for 70 HP. But that is a flatter, lighter boat. So again, I think that if you prop it right, it will get in the mid-20's and at least feel a lot more lively.

Personally, I’d start with fresh spark plugs, a new fuel filter and fresh fuel before buying props. Then I wouldn’t get carried away, maybe try 10” or 9” prop.

Also, weighing the boat is good advice and it the cost is minimal.
Already did all the simple maintenance stuff like that (BOTH fuel filters on the outboard too, lol). Replaced the low pressure fuel pump, tore apart the VST and cleaned it/checked the high pressure fuel pump & screen, didn't look bad. These things seem overly complicated, but then again I'm no marine engine engineer. Couldn't it just have one fuel/water separator, one filter, and one (electric) fuel pump, and one fp regulator for EFI??? /end rant

There is a refuse facility with a big scale not too far from me. Maybe I'll hook it up and check it out this weekend.

Man, it's kind of tough finding a cheapo lower pitch prop for this thing in 13 tooth spline. The ones I've seen always come with a big increase in diameter. I'll admit I have little knowledge on this subject though.

Already did all the simple maintenance stuff like that (BOTH fuel filters on the outboard too, lol). Replaced the low pressure fuel pump, tore apart the VST and cleaned it/checked the high pressure fuel pump & screen, didn't look bad. These things seem overly complicated, but then again I'm no marine engine engineer. Couldn't it just have one fuel/water separator, one filter, and one (electric) fuel pump, and one fp regulator for EFI??? /end rant

There is a refuse facility with a big scale not too far from me. Maybe I'll hook it up and check it out this weekend.

Man, it's kind of tough finding a cheapo lower pitch prop for this thing in 13 tooth spline. The ones I've seen always come with a big increase in diameter. I'll admit I have little knowledge on this subject though.

Diameter will increase some as the pitch decreases, the blades are angled less.

Newer Mercs do have all electric pumps, it is not much better. High pressure electric pumps are not good at drawing fuel, so you have a low pressure pump to lift fuel and another that pressurizes fuel to the rail. They are pretty proud of the parts in there and a whole new assembly is like $1500.

Diameter will increase some as the pitch decreases, the blades are angled less.

What @MrGiggles says -- The Merc prop finder tool indicates a 12.25 x 9 prop, assuming I did all the inputs correctly.

What @MrGiggles says -- The Merc prop finder tool indicates a 12.25 x 9 prop, assuming I did all the inputs correctly.
For a 1000 lb boat ?? My 40 hp on a 1000# boat has a 13" pitch for 31 mph. My neighbor has a 17' Tracker with a 50 hp four stroke and he runs a 12" pitch and does 28 mph and his boat is heavier and wider than mine. I really think rhe guy has a motor issue or a poor setup.

For a 1000 lb boat ?? My 40 hp on a 1000# boat has a 13" pitch for 31 mph. My neighbor has a 17' Tracker with a 50 hp four stroke and he runs a 12" pitch and does 28 mph and his boat is heavier and wider than mine. I really think rhe guy has a motor issue or a poor setup.

My post was aimed at the question/comment about the prop diameter changing as the pitch changes.

I think it's a bit closer to 1200lbs dry. Then on mine on a fishing day you have 430lbs in crew, a trolling motor up front, 2 batteries, then misc for tackle and food.

Still though, it's hard to believe they'd sell a boat package that couldn't decently plane and be in the 20s mph range with this much of a load. Guess I'll keep looking at the engine (and foam). I still want to raise it up 1-2 holes for testing though, there is a pretty big spray behind it.

I just found a cheap prop on Amazon, havnt put it on yet but came well packaged and looked good...no rough edges etc. I didnt check to see if it is balanced and cant vouch for the metal, but seemed okay. If I go to the shed today Ill get a name for you?

I have a new Pro Guide V16SC. I chose the 60hp, as it is 125# lighter than the 75/90. It is said to perform between 25-30mph, depending on weight of load. Unfortunately, I'm unable to provide specific details with regard to speed and RPM, as I have yet to take it out! I'll be taking it out soon, when weather improves, to start the engine break-in procedure. I'll know more then.

Based on how your using (weight), 40hp may only get you low low 20s mph. However, you need to be able to reach MAX RPM as suggested by Merc according to your motor's serial #. If it is 6000rpm, then your prop may very well be the issue. I reproped an older Honda 50 a couple of years ago, and made sure to research the various pitches, sizes, and blades before purchasing a new prop. This allowed me to get the correct prop with only one purchase.

Last edited:
Found this on another site
" stock prop on a new 2004 Targa 16 (renamed this year from Pro Deep V 16) is listed as 11.25x10 with a 40 HP. It looks as it should achieve 24-25 mph with 2 people and half a tank of go-go juice."
That Amazon prop I bought was like 60 bucks Canadain.20240120_160443.jpg
20240120_160621.jpg
Cheap enough...I may just use it,I go through a few.

My post was aimed at the question/comment about the prop diameter changing as the pitch changes.
All depends, today you can get the diameter you want along with the pitch. My Merc had a 10" dia x 13 P prop, my wot was pushing slightly above with just me so I ordered a 10.5 x 13P and rpm actually increased by 100 rpm. I wasvexpecting a 100 rpm drop. You can pretty much order any dia with any pitch.

Ordered an amazon 12.25" x 9" prop. If it doesn't help I'll just return it hopefully. Will report on the results!

Found a cluster of not very snug grounds earlier too, so who knows? Cleaned them up and snugged 'em down.

All depends, today you can get the diameter you want along with the pitch. My Merc had a 10" dia x 13 P prop, my wot was pushing slightly above with just me so I ordered a 10.5 x 13P and rpm actually increased by 100 rpm. I wasvexpecting a 100 rpm drop. You can pretty much order any dia with any pitch.

I'm sure you can order anything any size. If you reread my post and the ones I was quoting it is about the OP seeing bigger diameters on lower pitch props. That is not an uncommon thing.

Ordered an amazon 12.25" x 9" prop. If it doesn't help I'll just return it hopefully. Will report on the results!

Found a cluster of not very snug grounds earlier too, so who knows? Cleaned them up and snugged 'em down.
Thats where I would have ordered from....easy returns if it doesn't work

Even if you have the same top speed with the smaller prop, its going to be better on the motor if your in the right rpm range. You'll get better take off and handle heavier loads as well.

I see his post on weight, it appears he is closer to 2000 lbs which will make a big difference!! When ever gasoline jumps over 4 bucks a gallon, everyone thinks smaller motors to save fuel. Could be his boat was sold during high fuel prices, then again, some folks are just not in a hurry. I rarely have conditions where I can run wot. Avg around 20 mph according to my gps.

I think it's a bit closer to 1200lbs dry. Then on mine on a fishing day you have 430lbs in crew, a trolling motor up front, 2 batteries, then misc for tackle and food.

Still though, it's hard to believe they'd sell a boat package that couldn't decently plane and be in the 20s mph range with this much of a load. Guess I'll keep looking at the engine (and foam). I still want to raise it up 1-2 holes for testing though, there is a pretty big spray behind it.
The spray behind the boat may or may not be outboard related. Lots of things including transducers and small dents on the boat bottom can cause a spray.

I see his post on weight, it appears he is closer to 2000 lbs which will make a big difference!! When ever gasoline jumps over 4 bucks a gallon, everyone thinks smaller motors to save fuel. Could be his boat was sold during high fuel prices, then again, some folks are just not in a hurry. I rarely have conditions where I can run wot. Avg around 20 mph according to my gps.
Bass pro shops atleast the ones around here are notorious for hanging the minimum hp on the boats that they have out for sale. I won't speculate as to why but I looked at a couple ranger aluminum cc bay boats at 2 different bass pros and both were rigged with minimum hp as stated by manufacturer. I thought that was a terrible idea on a boat with a 40gal fuel tank 40 gallon livewell and 15 gallon baitwell and rated for 8 people. A walk through the showroom showed a common theme..they must sell though

Bass pro shops atleast the ones around here are notorious for hanging the minimum hp on the boats that they have out for sale. I won't speculate as to why but I looked at a couple ranger aluminum cc bay boats at 2 different bass pros and both were rigged with minimum hp as stated by manufacturer. I thought that was a terrible idea on a boat with a 40gal fuel tank 40 gallon livewell and 15 gallon baitwell and rated for 8 people. A walk through the showroom showed a common theme..they must sell though
Lowers the price for an easy sale, many of these guys are new boat owners and don't know any different. Also many are just fishing and speed doesn't matter...until your out there with other boaters and realize just how slow you really are !!

Latest posts