12.30.09 - 01.02.10 - Dale Hollow New Year's FNF Trip

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G3_Guy

Reaction score
Well we got back from our annual Dale Hollow trip around 4pm Saturday evening. As always we had a great time and great fellowship but the weather and fishing were probably the worst I have ever experienced on that lake. We stayed at Mitchell Creek Marina and Resort which was a nice place, would have been a great place to take the family in the summer. We were the only ones there for the weekend. Below is a breakdown of our weekend along with some pics and a link to the photo album. Thank the good Lord for allowing me to get out and enjoy everything he has given us.

100_0057_2.jpg

Day 1 (12.31.09)

Launched: 7:00am
Air temp: 28 Degrees
Water Temp: 46 Degrees
Weather: Cloudy and Rainy

We launched the boat, went a couple hundred yards from the marina and sat down on our first hole. The day started out with bang as on my first cast of the trip, the bobber went down and I landed an 18" SM. I knew it was going to be a bad day from that point on. We fished the rest of the day and only managed to land 2 more fish. I caught a 19" and David caught a 16". I had two more on but they came unbuttoned at the boat.

We arrived at Eagle Cove Resort around 7:30am Thursday morning and was met with Clear Skies and lots of wind... :( It was too early to check in so we launched the boats and headed out in search of the big Smallmouth.

Team G3 #1 (Brian & David) hooked up on 5 fish and was able to land 3 of them. Of those we landed, our biggest for the day was 19" long and weighed around 4lbs.

Team G3 #2 (Tony & Mike)hooked up on 7 fish and was able to land 5 of them. Of those they landed, their biggest for the day was 20" long and weighed 4lbs.

Team Skeeter (Dad & Bennie) hooked up 7 fish and were able to land 5 of them. Their largest was 21" long and 4.5lbs. They had the better day by far with several fish in the 18-20" range.

All in all this was the best of the 3 days which at the time did not seem like it. The bite was slow after 10 a.m. and never really picked back up. We ended the day with 19 hook-ups between us and 13 fish between the 3 boats. Of the 13, there were 0-LM, 0-Spots & 13-SM on Day 1. All fish were caught on the FNF between 8-15' deep. There was no pattern to the location as they were all caught on different type structure.

100_0046.jpg

100_0050.jpg

100_0394.jpg

Day 2 (01.01.10)

Launched: 7:30am
Air temp: 25 Degrees
Weather: Bluebird Skies and LOTS of wind (15-20MPH)

We were up at six to eat breakfast and then we headed out around 7:30. The day was sunny and the wind wall day. It was almost impossible to find a place out of the wind. We took a short run out to the main channel and found a little cove to get back in, on my second cast I landed a 16"SM and then the trolling motor begin to act up. We found another bluff and fished there for a bit, I managed to hook up on another SM that appeared to be around 20". It jumped 4-5 times and finally gave me my fly back. :( I fought with the trolling motor for about another hour and we decided to call it day. The fish nor the electronics were cooperating. We went in and ate and watched football the rest of the evening.

Team G3 #1 (Brian & David) hooked up on 2 fish and was able to land 1 of them. Of those we landed, our biggest for the day was 16" long and weighed 2lbs.

Team G3 #2 (Tony & Michael)hooked up on 4 fish and was able to land 2 of them. Of those they landed, their biggest for the day was 18" long and weighed 3lbs.

Team Skeeter (Dad & Bennie) hooked up 5 fish and were able to land 4 of them. Their largest was 20" long and 4lbs.

The high pressure moving in made this a terrible day, especially with the trolling motor not working. We fought the white caps for 3 hours before calling it day and coming in to eat and watch football. We ended the day with 11 hook-ups between us and 7 nice fish between the 3 boats. Of the 7, there were 0-LM, 0-Spots & 7-SM on Day 2. All fish were caught on the FNF between 8-15' deep. Again, there was no pattern as these fish were caught on all types of different structure.

100_0053.jpg

100_0062_2.jpg

100_0401.jpg

Day 3 (01.02.10)

Launched: 7:30am
Air temp: 13 Degrees
Weather: Cloudy, snowing and windy!

We were up again at six to eat breakfast. We awoke to the falling snow and a light dusting on some of the vehicles and ground. We loaded up the vehicles with all of our stuff and then we headed out around 7:30. We fished until 12:30 and decided to head home as it was extremely slow once again.

Team G3 #1 (Brian & David) hooked up on 2 fish and was able to land 0 of them.

Team G3 #2 (Tony & Michael)hooked up on 2 fish and was able to land 2 of them. Of those they landed, their biggest for the day was 18" long and weighed 3lbs.

Team Skeeter (Dad & Bennie) hooked up 4 fish and were able to land 4 of them. Their largest was 20" long.

THe low pressure moving in should have made things better but with all the wind, it was still impossible to find a calm spot to fish. We ended the day with 8 hook-ups between us and 7 fish between the 3 boats. Of the 7, there were 0-LM, 0-Spots & 8-SM on Day 3. All fish were caught on the FNF between 8-15' deep. Once again, no pattern to report.

100_0061.jpg

100_0404.jpg

While this was probably the worst trip (fishing wise) we have had, it was still good to get back down to the Hollow. We had a great time and enjoyed lots fishing, food & fellowship! Thank the good Lord for a safe trip! Hope to go back sometime in February. If not, cant wait to get back down next year! Below is the link to see all the pics from our trip.

2010 New Year's Dale Hollow Trip Album Link
https://s192.photobucket.com/albums/z136/G3_Guy/Fishing Pics/TN - Dale Hollow/Jan 1 2010/

Good Fishing & God Bless!
100_0051.jpg

Great pictures and reports Brian. I think ya'll were blessed with a great 3 days although the weather could have been more understanding.

46 degree water temps :) I cant wait for that .. everythings hard here . Nice post and sweet fish , Thanks for the report !

Great post....At least ya got out there....We can't control Mama nature and seems you guys made the best of the situation....Some great pics and the water looked great there....Can't wait to get back there this fall meself.....JIGGY