12 ft Sea King - Pics. Complete.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh you can use other tool to cut the aluminium if you want. Some guys use jig saws with metal blades in them and I was using a reciprocating saw at first.The ginder is just faster and easier for me. I have been told you can even buy a blade for a skill saw that will work.

I have like a million tubes of silicone sealant. Was thinking about using that but I would worry about the deterioration over time.

taterosu said:
I used jb weld on all the spots where I drilled through the hull.

duly noted. JB weld it is. Don't want to risk it.

called an metal supplier today and got a $215 quote for some angle, square tubing and a 4x10 sheet of .025 - I'll probably call around some more and see what other prices look like.

I cant tell you how much I spent for certain. It was around the three hundred mark but I didnt keep track. Its expensive but not a whole lot more than wood and should last forever with just a little bit of care.

You might want to get some flat strap for brackets while you ordering. Need them to tie all the piece together. Its cheaper to make them than buy premade brackets.

taterosu said:
I cant tell you how much I spent for certain. It was around the three hundred mark but I didnt keep track. Its expensive but not a whole lot more than wood and should last forever with just a little bit of care.

Not to mention, lighter! Which is what I am going for. didn't do too much tonight except finish cutting out the transom pieces, sanding, and mounting them. Got me a nasty blood blister in the process.

Attachments

• 218919_1689857005893_1221764896_31392130_4034984_o.jpg
    218919_1689857005893_1221764896_31392130_4034984_o.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 903
  • 219810_1689844085570_1221764896_31392129_802787_o.jpg
    219810_1689844085570_1221764896_31392129_802787_o.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 903
Unfortunately I have to wait until next week to order anything (steelflex, aluminum) - so I'm pretty much stuck wire wheeling if I want to do any work on the boat. BLAH.

If your going to put steelflex on, I would have anything that mounts through the hull completed. no need for the jb weld if the steelflex will cover the hole. it will seal up anything that could be a possible leak. just a thought.

looks great. if possible, could you take a couple pics of the entire boat from up above? I'd like to see where everything is situated. I'm curious about your pumps. Which ones do what? one is for aeration and one is to pump water out after use? I'd be interested in learning more about how you set that up as well. If I did a live well, it would be small because of weight issues - or perhaps it would be a nice beer cooler 99.9% of the time.

I should have a pic like that. I will take some more this weekend also. The pumps are fairly simple. I bought them at walmart. The pump mounted up against the hull is for freshwater to the bait tank. then the other line is just a drain line with an overflow pipe on it. at the back I just put a tee in the drain line and run the bilge pump into it. the freshwater filler has a pvc pipe with an end cap glued on. Then I driled ten small holes in the pipe from one end to the other. LOL mine will be an ice chest most of the time too. Thats why I put the foam around it. :beer:

I will have to get some better pics of the layout when I get to the barn this weekend. Its about a 30 min drive. Makes it hard to work on the boat but thats where all the tools are.

Attachments

• DSCN0161.JPG
    DSCN0161.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 604
  • DSCN0177.JPG
    DSCN0177.JPG
  • DSCN0195.JPG
    DSCN0195.JPG
taterosu said:
I should have a pic like that. I will take some more this weekend also. The pumps are fairly simple. I bought them at walmart. The pump mounted up against the hull is for freshwater to the bait tank. then the other line is just a drain line with an overflow pipe on it. at the back I just put a tee in the drain line and run the bilge pump into it. the freshwater filler has a pvc pipe with an end cap glued on. Then I driled ten small holes in the pipe from one end to the other. LOL mine will be an ice chest most of the time too. Thats why I put the foam around it. :beer:

I will have to get some better pics of the layout when I get to the barn this weekend. Its about a 30 min drive. Makes it hard to work on the boat but thats where all the tools are.

So what I'm reading is that you will pump freshwater IN TO the tank with one and OUT of the tank with the other. Not understanding the holes. Sorry if I'm asking for a lot of info - I'm highly visual so I need to see things in order to understand them...reading doesn't do crap for me. lol. I'm going to try to draw a diagram to explain what I am thinking about doing.

OK - this is really crappy, but workable for now. Keep in mind that there will be floors.

Diagram-1.png

Attachments

• Diagram.png
    Diagram.png
    91.8 KB · Views: 603
I'm so anxious to work on my boat but my drill is making horrific noises so I'm worried about using it. Gotta go pick up the spare from my camper.
That diagram is a little off...only one rib in front of the middle bench...two behind. I wanted to deck all the way from the middle to the front bench but I realized that if I put a low swivel seat on that middle bench, there won't be a "footwell" area, it would be like sitting on flat ground or on a very low beach chair. But actually, that could be nice as I like to lounge out with my feet up...hmmm. What do you think>?

Humm.... not sure. I guess just personal pref. If you ever do a foot controlled trolling motor I think it would hard to run without leg room under you.

is there some sort of initiation I have to go through before anyone else posts on this thread? tater, I am appreciating your replies more than you could know, but I think that multiple heads are better than two! =D>