12' vs. 14' v hull

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WV1951 said:
We have lost my original question. This is typical of forum discussions. I am not concerned about getting on plane or going from point a to b fast.
Will a 12' provide adequate space for two people if the seating is spaced properly? Is there a lot of difference between a 12 and 14 for those that have been in both?

Well sometimes unwanted opinions are proffered because the person responding may have experience and wants to illustrate things the OP may not have thought of... OTOH sometimes it's pure and simple beating a subject up to illustrate their superior knowledge. I like to think that it's the former more than the latter, people here are generally pretty helpful.

Since you've already decided on a 12'...

As far as the 12 vs. 14 size goes, since length and capacity is a concern (which both are important to me) the above suggestion on trying to load your gear are good but have you considered a JON or JAK boat instead of a V hull?

They are available with a pretty wide beam may be more stable and may have more storage capacity for lightweight carry on like a bag for CG gear, empty buckets etc.

Found another dealer in the area that I didn't know about and had some nice conversations. They are actually initially recommending a 14 mod v jon. I still like a semi v though. They are a Polar Kraft dealer and I got some initial pricing on a new Dakota 1460 and Yacht Club trailer and was very surprised, although I can still find some used 14 footers with motor and all for less than half the price. The Polar Kraft looks very flat with a 5 degree dead rise fore and aft and 45" across the bottom. That would darn near be flat like a jon and should be very stable. Regardless, I am taking their advice and the consensus here that a 14 is probably the way to go.
If anyone has ever been around a Dakota 1460 either in a showroom or in the water, please sound off.

gnappi said:
WV1951 said:
We have lost my original question. This is typical of forum discussions. I am not concerned about getting on plane or going from point a to b fast.
Will a 12' provide adequate space for two people if the seating is spaced properly? Is there a lot of difference between a 12 and 14 for those that have been in both?

a 14' is almost 17% more space then a 12' assuming the same beam.

I've always preferred a semi flat or V nose punt myself, great I would even say perfect in enclosed water and rivers.
They are more stable and and run shallower then deeper hull bosts, although they ride better.

After watching some you tube videos there is little doubt now I will be finding a 14'. If not used then I will bite the bullet and go with a new setup, and look for a used motor.
With my apologies to Bob.

Sounds like you have changed your mind. I think you are making a good choice. Nothing wrong with opting for the 12' if it works better for you. But If all things are equal, the 14' will give you more utility. Just my opinion of course.

WV1951 said:
Found another dealer in the area that I didn't know about and had some nice conversations. They are actually initially recommending a 14 mod v jon. I still like a semi v though. They are a Polar Kraft dealer and I got some initial pricing on a new Dakota 1460 and Yacht Club trailer and was very surprised, although I can still find some used 14 footers with motor and all for less than half the price. The Polar Kraft looks very flat with a 5 degree dead rise fore and aft and 45" across the bottom. That would darn near be flat like a jon and should be very stable. Regardless, I am taking their advice and the consensus here that a 14 is probably the way to go.
If anyone has ever been around a Dakota 1460 either in a showroom or in the water, please sound off.

love my Dakota, it's pretty darn stable and I regularly fish 3 people out of it no problem.It's perfect for my use.

Crazyboat said:
I wish I had a smaller boat, I wish I had less HP, said no one ever.

Said one at least, I "upgraded" from a 1032 Topper to a 1040 Lowe, zero HP and a TM only :)

Ya can't load a 14 footer with a 4 stroker in a pickup and hand launch it... of that I'm absolutely sure.

Crazyboat said:
I wish I had a smaller boat, I wish I had less HP, said no one ever.

I did \:D/

I love the little boats, they get through the shallows and over the timber.
I must be the only man to downsize and ve happy about it. I seem to do it every time I buy a bigger boat.

Fixed. Thanks for the pics.

NTIJ1ci.jpg

p5o6BV4.jpg