12ft Harbercraft V-hull converstion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeeezy

Reaction score
Alrighty so I got this boat off a family member for free and I am a big fisher I actually have a private lake open only to the three people which live on the lake, the 12ft is ideal for this as it has to be lunch boxed to the lake no launches. The lake is big for bass and pike and I'd like to get this little boat as "decked" out as I can. So far what I have for the boat: Minn Kota 30lb thrust trolling motor, bilge pump,navigation lights + pole light, 6hp Evinrude 1970's 2 cylinder and 2 swivle seats. I haven't installed anything yet so placement is completely open.

So what do I have in mind for the boat Id like too take the area in-front of the front seat and turn that into storage taking a sheet of plywood and attaching it directly to the aluminum bench seat that already exists. I don`t want to mount the trolling motor in the front that I am entirely sure, but I`m thinking of putting the battery and gas tank in the front in the storage unit to somewhat balance my weight out I prefer casting to the back of the boat. Now for the body of the boat I would like to install a deck as low to the bottom of the boat as possible to try and make an attempt to keep the center of gravity as low as I can. Also wiring and fuel line to be run (under deck) so it looks more appealing. I wish to keep the center aluminum seat to try and keep as much of the structural stability as possible. For the back of the boat I`m thinking to removing the bench seat and instead of the bench extending across the width I`d like two bench seats following the length of the boat on each of the sides. And adding a deck onto this section aswell. I have gone over the weight of everything and I will be either right on or a lil over the weight. The main aspect I am worried about is that maybe even if I place the deck as low as it can go it will still be very off balanced.

Everyone's input on this will be much appreciated I already posses all material required the beauty of working construction is you get alot of useful material from customers. I plan to make this my winter project so no rush on time, Anything worth doing is worth putting a little thought into it and done correctly :). Sorry for the novel of a thread, a lot to go over.

I will get pictures as soon as I find time

Attachments

• boat design.jpg
    boat design.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 2,522
here`s the boat

Attachments

• 2011-09-27 17.40.55.jpg
    2011-09-27 17.40.55.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,469
  • 2011-09-27 17.42.04.jpg
    2011-09-27 17.42.04.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,470
  • 2011-09-27 17.42.51.jpg
    2011-09-27 17.42.51.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,469
Hey There
Looks like you and I have the same idea for a 12 ft project...
BearwoodBoats is my handle,,take a look if you like! At my Freebie boat along side the road.
Here is a plan I'm looking at (see attachment )
Have a nice day

Attachments

• Boat Blueprint.doc
    1.3 MB · Views: 305
Yea that is a solid plan to follow I don't like the rear deck on it tho just not for me, I just started building my front deck today link to the pic included. I've looked at a lot of 12 ft v-hull projects just to grasp what I need to do to be able to add all that I'd like to add. All in all I think I will have a nice little boat come next spring. I will keep the pictures coming so you can see me progress I will deff look into your post to follow you and see how your project is coming along. If you get any good ideas toss them my way. Think about a livewell yet I'm debating adding one into the center bench seat.

Attachments

• boat front deck support.jpg
    boat front deck support.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 2,418
Hey hows it goin? I am in the process of decking my 12' deep V. Curious as to why you built the 2x4 deck frame? Couldnt you have just built the deck off the existing seats? I'm sure you could think of this but I am more interested in the reason why. I just got my deck cut and am hoping I didnt miss something important. Is it just a preference thing? You prefer the deck to be higher??

I needed the extra support of the 2x4's just going off the seat would have made it too weak and my purpose for the front deck is purely storage at this point I don't plan on setting it up for fishing. Give your ideal a shot ad see how she turns out I was walking all over mine last night and it was easily handling my payload which is 250lbs so the support to hold a person is there if i ever decide to add a seat there. I would check out other's 12 ft projects to see how they are building the decks majority of people go with the 2x4 planks for the stability. But again check out your idea first and let me know how if goes, it only took me 20mins to make this deck so its not a hard task to redo :) anyways hope to hear back from you on your progress.

jakeeezy said:
Ohh I forgot to say my entire deck is 100% removable
Ok that makes since....you need more stability, ya need more. I think my deck will have plenty of stability ill go ahead and give it a shot. Was curious if the height had anything to do with it. Do some prefer to be closer to the top of the boat?? Seems like that may throw off center of balance a bit more. Nice job on makin the deck removable. When finished, my deck should be removable as well. Just with the removal of a few pan head bolts.

My deck is just going to be a storage compartment I wish it could be a casting deck but 12 ft boats are just to small to be able to rack that into them sadly. My plans for the boat have changed now as I have realized the majority of the things I'd like to do require a bigger boat with more stability to start off. Still I'll make it into a nice little fishing boat with what I know it can handle dreams of a carpeted deck throughout are gone for now maybe when i upgrade down the road I'll create my dream boat.

jakeeezy said:
My deck is just going to be a storage compartment I wish it could be a casting deck but 12 ft boats are just to small to be able to rack that into them sadly. My plans for the boat have changed now as I have realized the majority of the things I'd like to do require a bigger boat with more stability to start off. Still I'll make it into a nice little fishing boat with what I know it can handle dreams of a carpeted deck throughout are gone for now maybe when i upgrade down the road I'll create my dream boat.
Who said a casting deck wont work on a 12' boat? I have yet to try mine out but that sucks. I'm still going to progress with mine. Did you at least give it a try?

Latest posts