14' Aluminum Boat Restore

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
azfish said:
Glad it's working out for you. Getting that old paint off is ALOT of work.

Crappie you are not kidding about the paint removal. But first we used paint stripper and then I took a wire wheel to it. That combo seemed to work pretty well. However because of the amount of work that it is, I feel we may not strip the outside hull we may just sand it a little and repaint over it. I want this boat nice but it does not have to be showroom quality. :D

Well at least it is a little Cooler for you to work on It now, One of My Friends that Lives in Sun City was on here this morning Griping because it was 50deg, and she had to put sweats on to walk

Ark, that's the truth about the weather, geez it's been crazy hot way to long. The funny thing is that the early mornings have been nice and chilly here too. Enough for me to put on a sweatshirt for a few hours anyway.

I know, She has been there a long time, I talk to her every day, I knew it had been a long hot summer, I 'use' to love those cool Mornings, I could get out and Run, be cooler in the morning !! hope you get a lot done on the Boat , The stripping is rough for most, maybe get better now!! :)

ok not to much progress on the boat to report but i did score 37 pounds of aluminum angle from work for only $20.35. Here is a picture of what I got, hopefully this will be enough for what I am going to do to the boat. I figured on a sub floor then build the seats from there and a front deck also. Anyway here is the pic and let me know what you think of the buy and the idea for the boat.

Also forgot to ask, what do you guys recommend for attaching the alum should I get rivets and a gun or would just drilling holes and using ss bolts work just as good? Not sure if one is better than the other or not.
Thanks

11-15-09-1.jpg

Nice score on the aluminum!

Get the rivet gun (the one with the swivel head) & rivets. Aluminum rivets are relatively cheap compared to ss or aluminum hardware. Rivets are easier too in tight places.

Ok, thursday night and off for the weekend. My wife is out of town visiting family in florida so I better get some work done on the boat. Picking up my hitch and installing it tomorrow morning, and then maybe bringing home the boat trailer I've got waiting at work. I'll take pics of it when it does get home, and I should get it for less than $20.00 Gotta love working in a scrap yard. :LOL2:

Latest posts