14' Sea King Greenhorn

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerman

Reaction score
First Post! This is two parts, first any idea how old this Sea King is? It was given to me 20 years ago by my great-uncle's aging stepson, who have both passed away. We used it on our 4 acre stock tank in north Texas until it dried up in the drought of 13. It laid on the banks 1/2 full of rainwater until the bottom was dry enough for me to drag it up to the pasture. After last years spring floods I drug it up to make it seaworthy lol! The original trailer has a Mesquite growing thru it which will have to be cut before I retrieve it. I had always pushed it with a garage sale find Sears 3hp vintage tank/cowling motor. A buddy gave me a nearly new B&S 5HP 4 stroke and a trailer for a $100 donation to ALS! I cleaned it up, replaced the rotted wood seats with plastic deck material and replaced the transom to get it back in the water.

Before I do anything else I need to be sure I can register it with TPWD which requires a title, and serial number. The is clearly no name plate or holes where one might have been. Faded out traces of previous letters look like he had it registered in Oklahoma, which makes sense as he used to fish in lake Waurika. I have heard I will have to make a serial number. I'm thinking, stamping my DL number on the right back corner cap? Good or Bad idea? Any suggestions on getting it lake legal?

Next question, we hope to retire in the Port Isabel, South Padre Island area. With a proper saltwater motor would this boat be adequate for the lower Laguna Madre? What's the largest motor a 14' would handle? Possible need pods on the transom? I'd like to add a floor and more comfortable seats, but everything will have to washable and corrosion resistant.

And now some pictures:

Attachments

• PastureRecovery.jpg
    PastureRecovery.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 878
  • Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 878
  • NewSeats.jpg
    NewSeats.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 879
  • SuzyQ.jpg
    SuzyQ.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 879
  • sea king rt.jpg
    sea king rt.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 879
  • transom.jpg
    transom.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 879
  • Our Lake.jpg
    Our Lake.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 879
Can ANYONE give me a guess as to when these open top Montgomery Ward Sea Kings were made? Or when load rating/mfg plates were first required so I can just pick a year prior to? I borrowed a set of number dies to stamp my DL with and do a rubbing for the title work.

Thanks!

I found several old M/W Sea King catalogs posted and the only year with a 14' aluminum open top is 1958! Model 9045, I was one!

Asked & Answered!

Attachments

• Seakingb58002.jpg
    Seakingb58002.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 739

Latest posts