• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toTinBoats.net and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Part Wanted Can’t find year of boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gagec22

Reaction score
I have a Montgomery ward sea king 12ft aluminum vhull. I bought it off of Facebook and can’t find the year of it. The serial number is G4-5897 and the model number is 60-8923. I’m lost and have looked everywhere. I’m trying to make a jet Jon and cannot register it without the year. Pictures are of the tag on it and the boat itself. Please help me i also can’t seem to find a hin. IMG_7260.pngIMG_7261.pngIMG_7259.pngIMG_7258.pngIMG_7654.jpeg

The problem is that Sears or Montgomery Ward or other ‘name brand retail stores’ did NOT makes the boats, where it was probably Elgin or some other company.

Go to the link below and look up Elgin, but note they are listed under the fiberglass manufacturers, as they made both types of boats. In some of the ‘60s years I saw a similar model numbers.

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/index.php?title=Main_Page
Given what we know, it is earlier than a 1972 hull. For in 1972, The US Coast Guard was given the task of proposing a standardized 12-digit HIN (Hull Identification Number) format as part their new regulations for the safe construction of boats. The HIN was required to be visible on all boats and personal water craft. As a result of the new regulations, the Federal Boat Safety Act was passed in 1972.

Note the 1st three letters of the HIN was coded to denote the hull manufacturer. The HIN Database is here: Manufacturers Identification

More, found this:

Starcraft was manufacturer of Sea King aluminum boats and OMC made the SeaKing outboards for Montgomery Ward.”
Serial number looks like 64 - 5897 so 1964 and the 5,987 produced.