14' Starcraft Rebuild-Boundary Waters Special!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spacks013

Reaction score
I finally got a small boat again to re-do. I'm planning on making this a super light weight boat for use mainly in the Boundary Waters. It will entail doing some portages with portage wheels, and packing it full with camping gear!

The seat posts, trolling motor and trailer were all included with the boat, and I got the 25 horse Evinrude for a deal too.

Attachments

• goodies.JPG
    goodies.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,994
  • transom paint.JPG
    transom paint.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 1,994
  • newpaint.JPG
    newpaint.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,995
  • newtrans.JPG
    newtrans.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,994
  • transwood.JPG
    transwood.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,994
  • badtrans.JPG
    badtrans.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,994
  • motor.JPG
    motor.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 1,994
  • flrmess.JPG
    flrmess.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,994
  • rear.JPG
    rear.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,994
  • inside.JPG
    inside.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,993
Can anyone tell me if this setup looks viable? I'm still planning on keeping the floor bare, except under the seat mounts. The driver seat will be where the temp. framing is over the tank. Across from that, where the smaller battery is, I plan on doing a smaller compartment for the batt. and wiring.

Any thoughts, or stuff I've overlooked?

Thanks!

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,798
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,798
Yeah, I'm thinking of ways to address that. The boat already had all the benches removed when I got it. I'd rather just have the center one out. Do you think the deck for the TM will help stiffen it up, or should I make supports in the middle? I was thinking that where the center seat platform will go I could put in braces that go about half way up the side.

If you create braces that go from side to side, running along the floor and up the sides, it will help.
You need to use 90° angles or a heavily bowed beam to create outward tension and intern side to side strength.
Think of it as creating a giant leaf spring inside the boat.

Thanks for the advice! I was thinking of something like this to tie the sides into the floor.

Attachments

• floor1.JPG
    floor1.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 1,683
I think you would want to run the brace down to a floor rib. I would go with angle aluminum over a 2 by 4. Sure you would have notch the flooring but it would be a lot stronger. You can take a look at my build and maybe get your own idea of what to do. I would think the notch area for the floor would help quite a bit with a good tight fit.

So, here is what I decided on for stiffening up the sides. I'm just putting the one in the middle, where the bench would have been. I think the stern and bow should be good, as I'm adding a bench in the back and the top plate for the TM.

Attachments

• brace1.jpg
    brace1.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 1,553
  • brace2.jpg
    brace2.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 1,552
I have the exact same boat, but a 1974 model. The braces should help some. When I removed the benches from my boat the sides sprung out at least 4 inches. If you do put a deck in the front it will help hold it together better. You can run angle from one side to the other and that will really stiffen it up. You are right about the 3/4 ply on the floor. As long as you are under 200# a 4x8 sheet fits in there perfect and you will not need any further supports for the low floor.

Finished up the rear bench. I ended up using a ratchet strap to bring the sides in around 1 or 2 inches to stiffen it up. I took it out for a test run and ran into some problems...

Attachments

• getting there.jpg
    getting there.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 486
  • test drive1.jpg
    test drive1.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 486
So, when in forward gear when I try to throttle up, there's a banging noise from the gear case. Almost like hitting a rock or something, but it does stay in gear. I took apart the lower unit after looking around to check the clutch dog. There was some wear on the dog and the cradle so I flipped them both around and went out again. The gears, however looked brand new.

On the second attempt, the boat got on plane once and then after that it was like it didn't want to stay in gear. Also the motor is a long shaft (5 in. longer) and the transom was only extended around 3 in. so the motor was catching on the water and shooting it straight up in the air just behind the transom!

I went to a place called twin cities outboard and tried to get the parts. $70 just for the dog and around $50 for the cradle. The guy suggested that I just buy a new lower unit from him as it might be cheaper in the long run (my shift shaft seal was leaking too). I figured I'd cut down the transom and run the proper length motor to solve my issues and it turned out to cost me around $225 for the complete lower.

At least now I have spare gears!

Attachments

• lu.jpg
    lu.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 484
  • cuttrans.jpg
    cuttrans.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 484
I kind of changed my mind on the layout. I'll be putting in small platforms so I can fit the seats in, rather than larger floor panels. I really want to keep this boat light so I can portage it without issue.

I think I'll still be able to fit the correct amount of foam. Does anyone with a similar size boat have numbers on how much cu ft they put in?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 443
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 443
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 443
Got a few more things done.

-Wiring (well most of it, anyway).
-Seats and decking.
-Bow TM mount.
-All wood got 3 coats of spar.
-Most of the foam in. Still have to fill the front under the bow.

Taking her up to the Boundary Waters tomorrow! Hope I can get most of it finished in time!

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 407
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 407
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 407
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG