1448 or 1648 welded jon--which would you buy and why?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BUT other than the 2 feet difference in size the 1448 grizzly and 1648 grizzly are the same boat

2 foot difference is a huge difference when you spend the day in the boat. Trust us. You won't regret it.

I went from a 1648 to a 1756 and it's like a large room addition. (less the fireplace and big screen TV)

djchris said:
don't see a problem catching a big cat in a 14 footer. however i do agree with bigger water a bigger boat would be better BUT other than the 2 feet difference in size the 1448 grizzly and 1648 grizzly are the same boat.....both are same depth same width. don't know how that would make a difference on big water? i don't know how big the lake your were referring to is but i have been on a dinky 14 foot boat on shelbyville here in illinois which is a rather large lake and was fine. every boat is going to have it's limitations no matter what size. me personally prefer the small boat over a larger one....can be had for lil money can be towed easier can launch one from pretty much anywhere and can be dragged across a sand bar or whatever if your in a smaller river. easy to power and easier to put in a smaller garage or shelter. easier to maneuver around obstacles...don't need a larger trolling motor 12v 45lb is plenty.....just an easy boat all around.
Define "Big" catfish! LOL :D

The Santee Cooper system being referred to here is massive. It is comprised of two lakes, Marion and Moultrie, connected by a wide, 6 mile long diversion canal. Taken together they cover over 170,000 acres of fertile swamp water, touching on 5 counties - each about the size of Rhode Island. Your Shelbyville Lake, by contrast covers a "mere" 11,100 acres.

These lakes form a unique environment, even generating their own local weather patterns! You are dead right... 2 feet won't make much difference there. It is something, however, and if it's all the difference you can manage, then you better take it.... and keep a weather eye out at all times. Storms come up in a minute on S-C, and the weather can turn fast and nasty before you know it.

Most Santee Cooper cat fishing guides use heavy, shallow draft boats. Tri-toons big enough for half a dozen people are not uncommon.
Why shallow draft? Because the big fish are most often found waaaay out in the old river channels of the lakes, which themselves are quite shallow. When the lakes were formed in the 40's, no logging was done beforehand. So, when the water draws down in the summer, well... boats run a great risk of foundering in the stump fields that blanket portions of the lake. This doesn't even mention night running, or the fogs that cover the lakes at times.

Taking his two conditions into account, i.e., small 55 acre lake and these gargantuan, Southern stump bowls, I'd opt for large and shallow draft. Something we don't know about are the facilities he has available at the small lake. The Santee Cooper lakes are littered with good boating facilities, but the smaller one's offerings could be a deciding factor.

Thanks again for all comments. As for Santee Cooper--Im very aware of the dangers of those two lakes--that would be down the road but I think I could use the 1648 easily in the connecting canal or near the banks--absolutley would never go out into the lake for the reasons you mention.

Looks like the thread is split 50/50 so far on the 1448 vs the 1648--Ill be deciding in the next month or so. The 55 acre farm pond is where this boat will get 95% of its work out this year.

thebeatles67 said:
Thanks again for all comments. As for Santee Cooper--Im very aware of the dangers of those two lakes--that would be down the road but I think I could use the 1648 easily in the connecting canal or near the banks--absolutely would never go out into the lake for the reasons you mention.
Thank you! As this is your first boat I was worried. Often we get the 'boating glint' in our eye without realizing what we are about. News stories and statistics - the wrong kind - are made of such things.

The choice is yours; you obviously have your priorities sorted out.

djchris said:
thanks for educating me on the santee cooper lake! i had no idea it was that massive.........
Its hard to believe until you see it - or not. Normally, you can't see the other side.....
Its no small wonder that world record catfishes are caught there, time and again. Not to mention sunfish and others. I doubt anyone ever expected this outcome when the system was created.

I was considering the 1448 and 1648 Alumacraft. I went with the 1648 to have more room. I'm very happy with my choice and I store mine in my garage also. I agree being able to keep the boat garaged and stocked with gear is a big plus! If you can only fit the 1448 in your garage and not the 1648, then I would go with the 1448 so it could be stocked and ready to go!