15 hp Johnson has spark, fuel, air but not cranking...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to say FINAL UPDATE but i haven't put her in the Congaree yet. Thats tomorrow but She purrs like a kitten (in my opinion). Took carb off, took it to the grumpy old man at the repair shop, he takes the bowl off see that the bowl is varnished stained, asks me a few questions about what it was doing when I crank it. He checks the lean and rich brass stem, turns it all the way in and then backs it out 1.5 turns. Had I realized that knob was the low speed needle I would have gotten this yesterday when sharrison mentioned it. Anyway, this is awesome! I really enjoyed this thread and hope to tinker with a few more to get some more knowledge.

thanks to all!

Gator McClusky said:
Johny25 said:
92 V4 120 big bore looper? I am jealous now :mrgreen:

Yep! You speak as if you know this motor? I have already done a few things to it. Starting another thread on that in a few minutes. Please pop in!

I have been wanting to get a 120/140 big bore looper for a long time now. Watched a lot of threads on them on another forum and have studied them in great detail. I will keep my eye out for your thread and surely follow it :) Ideally I want a brand new E-tec 130 but that is never going to happen :lol: so the closest and best motor in my price range will be the big bore loopers. A 120 would be fine but I would surely do some work on it and make her push over 140hp. I just cannot leave things alone ya know :mrgreen:

Johny25 said:
Gator McClusky said:
Johny25 said:
92 V4 120 big bore looper? I am jealous now :mrgreen:

Yep! You speak as if you know this motor? I have already done a few things to it. Starting another thread on that in a few minutes. Please pop in!

I have been wanting to get a 120/140 big bore looper for a long time now. Watched a lot of threads on them on another forum and have studied them in great detail. I will keep my eye out for your thread and surely follow it :) Ideally I want a brand new E-tec 130 but that is never going to happen :lol: so the closest and best motor in my price range will be the big bore loopers. A 120 would be fine but I would surely do some work on it and make her push over 140hp. I just cannot leave things alone ya know :mrgreen:

Well, you have obviously done a little homework on price then. You or anyone else mind ball parking what this motor would cost alone. I paid $3500 for the boat, motor and trailer. The boat is a 2060 Duracraft center console. The boat is in great condition and the motor was clean and I went with the old guys word that it would run. he was selling for his son who was across country. I felt good about it and did it. I hope it works out. She is overheating on port side.
thnks

Sure I can give you an idea of what they bring price wise in the northwest here. Good compression in all 4 cylinders (over 100) and all within 10%, motor clean and in good running order then they can bring $1200-2500 depending on how nice and well taken care of they have been. $1200 would be a motor that was run in salt water with fairly high hours but still good working order. The $2500 motor would be a lower hour or gently used well taken care motor that never hit salt water.

I have been trying to get one for $400-700 (or cheaper :D ) that needs a rebuild due to low compression in one or a couple cylinders. I figure for about $1000-1200 in parts I can completely rebuild it and have a brand new engine for around $1400-1900. And While I am at it polish the exhaust ports, shave the deck, insert over sized pistons, re-jet the carbs etc.... and have a rocket ship :mrgreen:

Well, smoked that one! Went about a mile up river and she would kinda bog down here and there, hept checking the water and the temp of the pee water and all was well. All of a sudden I look back and see steam coming from the pee hole and steam or smoke or both from the cowling. Paddled back, took her home and pulled the LU off and the impeller was fine. There is a lot of residual gear oil in the foot and all around the pump on the inside. Maybe I can check all that tonight.

Should the shaft just pull out of the lower unit or is that an issue as well or the issue?

Any words of wisdom? Besides hooking a rope to it and converting it to an anchor.

Latest posts