1957 Evinrude 10 hp -- Won't start

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and say that the lower unit oil should not look like this...and the picture doesn't do it justice. It is a deep caramel color and has a very burnt smell to it...glad I decided to do a change!

Attachments

• 0304161212.jpg
    0304161212.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 550
Looks like there's a bit of water in it. Not a huge problem yet. You can continue to run it and change it as it gets milky or take the time to re-seal it. The main offender will be the shift rod seal....which is also the hardest to get to. Not a bad job and will get you familiar with the inside of these gearcases. Your choice at this point. That gear oil is nowhere near as bad as I have seen.

I went ahead and just drained and replaced the oil with HPF Pro as you suggested. I also found a parts dealer about 20 minutes from me that carries basically every OEM part I could ever want for this motor and got 2 new drain seals. I pulled the old ones and they were very badly worn out. The oil had likely been changed in the last couple years but the rings most certainly had not. They were badly compressed and one was cracked.

I'm going to take it out tomorrow and I'll recheck the oil that night to see if it was in fact the bad rings or if it will need further attention.

I took the boat out the other day and was having issues with the motor idling really low and running really rough, but would significantly smooth out at WOT though even at WOT would still run at low RPM. Later in the day however, I was forced to kill the motor with the throttle rather than throttling down and pulling the choke (the choke knob had rattled out of its threads which are weak to begin with). When I started it afterwards...it ran fine. Any ideas what could be going on?

Also with the choke knob, should I try and replace the choke link to get better threads or should I just put a dab of red on the screw and hope for the best?