1970 Crestliner Super Seaman Rebuild/Modification

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flypops167

Reaction score
Hello. I am new here and I and about to do my first rebuild/modification to a 1970 Crestliner Super Seaman. I am goin to post pics and progress as soon as I get started, but I have a question to start with. I am SURE more will follow :). If I add flotation around the perimeter along the walls, at and above the waterline, will it add stability while drifting and moving about on the boat AND will that adversely affect the handling, particularly in tight turns? I plan on a motor somewhere in the 15 hp range, perhaps a mud motor, but unsure. Thank you and wish me luck !!

Welcome...

I'm sure I'm misunderstanding your question but you do mean on the inside of the boat correct? If so then no, floatation will only have effect on the vessel once it comes in contact with the water. It is basically used for flotation and support/sound deadening purposes only.

If your planning to add it to the outside, not sure how you could do that successfully and make it stay on, but it would stabilize the boat where it contacts the water, but again not sure it would stay there. The width of the bottom is usually where a vessel gets its stability, plus the inside components having a low center of gravity. Rule of thumb though wider is more stable.

Give us some details of how you want to add this flotation and you'll get some good responses.

welcome aboard as well !

start off with the size of your boat
the size of you and your passengers
weight of gear you will be carrying
your past boating experience
and the gallery likes to see photos of your boat !

nobody puts foam on the outside of their boat

this is what the flotation foam is designed for in boats
Flotation Foam.jpg
it keeps your boat from sinking in case it gets swamped.

Thank you for your responses. That is what I had figured but I thought that I would ask to make sure. I've still got a couple of weeks before I can start in earnest, but I will be posting plenty of pictures ! Thanks again and I look forward to the input from others.