1971 25 hp Johnson 25R71S.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baseball_guy_99

Reaction score
I have finally found a bigger motor for my boat for a very good price. I am going to be getting it sometime next week.

It's a 71 25hp Johnson, short shaft, tiller handle.

1st question does the R in the model number mean remote steer/start? From looking over the parts listings it does not appear to have been made with the remote steer. But this motor has the 5 prong plug in on the front of the lower cowl for what I assume was a wiring harness. Underneath the hood there is the starter, but I do not see a solenoid. So I guess it was added later on.

If i can get a solenoid for this motor, is it possible to rewire the wiring harness plug in to be a push button start?

The motor starts and runs fine as is with the pull start, I would just love for the option of electric start.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here are a few pictures

Attachments

• photo(16).JPG
    photo(16).JPG
    250.1 KB · Views: 981
  • photo(15).JPG
    photo(15).JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 981
  • photo(14).JPG
    photo(14).JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 981
  • photo(13).JPG
    photo(13).JPG
    229.7 KB · Views: 981
Whoops, sorry bout that, didn't think to look at the topic line.. :). I looked at the schematics/ part lists, and you're right about the lack of electric start. Can you tell what the wires that are there are going to? I wonder if you might be able to find another same size model for that year that has electric start. Also, you may want to check out the Johnson/Evinrude forum on iboats, many folks there with much more knowledge than me.

The R does stand for remote. For this engine"remote capable" is probably a better description. You add the old style steering through the hole at the front of the carry handle and throttle and shift can be easily hooked up as well. As far as the button start goes that is an easy thing to do. You will still need to add a solenoid though.

Thanks for the input guys. I did make a post over at Iboats as well.

I won't be getting the motor until next week.

From what I can tell from the pictures I'll need a solenoid, couple push buttons (1 for starting, 1 for shuttin the engine off), and some wiring to hook up the e-start.

baseball_guy_99 said:
Thanks for the input guys. I did make a post over at Iboats as well.

I won't be getting the motor until next week.

From what I can tell from the pictures I'll need a solenoid, couple push buttons (1 for starting, 1 for shuttin the engine off), and some wiring to hook up the e-start.

Maybe a starter?

baseball_guy_99 said:
There is already a starter on there. Hopefully it works...if not then yes a new starter :D

Nice.. if it doesn't work or is slow just get a rebuild kit for it.. way cheaper and not that hard.