1971 Starcraft SS w/Mercury 80Hp MerControl

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HahnZooKeeper

Reaction score
Hello All,
It's been a long time since I've been on Tinboats (much less posted). It's been a LONG, but exciting winter. Some of you may have followed our build of a 1981 Starcraft Seafarer to it's relative finish last August. Well this past January, after much deliberation, we traded her "even-up" for a 1971 Starcraft SS console steer with an 80Hp Mercury. The SS is so much bigger and a much better fit for our growing boys. I will go into that story on another thread when we're ready to dig into her like we did to the Seafarer.
But for now, my question is about the new/old boat and its MerControl console control throttle and shift cables. Of coarse, I missed the worn out cables when I took my first, second and third inspections of her in January. We got our first chance to take a closer look at her and clean her up yesterday and found this out. Does anyone know if these cables are still available? If so, where? How much? etc...
Please take a look at the pics and let me know if you have any info on these. We're gonna nurse it along for this year (maybe another) and then tear her down to the hull and do her right. I love a great project! I hope my Dad can help us out on this one, that would be special. This one will be called "Musky Bucket II"

Attachments

• MerControl 1.jpg
    MerControl 1.jpg
    703.9 KB · Views: 448
  • MerControl 2.jpg
    MerControl 2.jpg
    853 KB · Views: 448
  • MerControl 3.jpg
    MerControl 3.jpg
    715.3 KB · Views: 448
Are the cables in working order now? And yes should be able to find replacement parts for it - the cost I am not sure.

Yes, it seems like they're working as of now, but I'm not really sure because we haven't had her running yet. Just got the covers off of her yesterday and while cleaning I noticed the cables looked rough.

Fisherman58,
Thanks for your response. Where can I get those replacement cables? Do I have to go to the Mercury dealer, or can I find them somewhere else? What sort of $$$ can I expect to pay?