1986 Grumman Fisherman 14' Missing Middle Bench

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark g

Reaction score
Hi all, I just found and joined this site in hopes of bringing my newly purchased 1986 Grumman 14ft aluminum up to par for the upcoming season. In order to do that, I need to take care of a few issues.
I have a lot of experience repairing and maintaining fiberglass boats, but this is my first aluminum boat. We picked it up for knocking around & crabbing with the kids. Our other boats are a 23 Robalo center console that I have fully restored and a 13 Whaler that is about to get fully restored.
I have kind of a full plate so I'm not looking to do any real mods to the Grumman. Here's a list of what I need to do
1. New transom - Already took the old one out and will be replacing it tonight.
2. Remove the capet residue from the sides (inside) of the boat. The prior owner carpeted the insides at some point and then removed it, leaving residue behind that has to go. Does anyone have any tips on that? I was thinking a heat gun and putty knife but I don't want to ruin the paint on the outside of the boat.
3. Replace the center bench with SOMETHING. Currently, there's nothing there. I'd like to just put another bench in for simplicity's sake but I'm open to options. Does anyone have any ideas about making a new bench?

Here's a couple pictures... Here's how the rear bench is fastened, the center bench looks like it would have been riveted the same way but there's also a vertical rib on each side on what would be the aft end of the bench

9852A39A-423E-446E-B5E1-DD807424C65F-914-00000053CBB864A9.jpg

Here, you can see the missing center bench. The flange was left behind on one side only. Also, notice the carpet residue mess....

DFC44CFD-B250-4238-9968-F84FD47DBB16-914-0000005392AF26A4.jpg

So, there we have it. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm mainly concerned about the missing bench. If I can't do something to adequately remove the carpet residue, I'll just glue new carpet in so it looks better.

id leave the bench out and slap a floor in it, then stiffen up those ribs with some channel or angle and call it good. ive never seen ribs like that along with the bench. benches are for seating obviously but they are also used to keep the gunnels from flexing, by stiffening up them ribs you will give them the strength to keep it from flexing and have more room. theres guys who remove there middle benches to free up space and dont put any support in place of the bench and their boats dont flex. some people agree and some think you need to put some sort of support back. since its already out hit the water and make some sharp turns and other stuff and watch it to see if it has flex, if it dont you will be fine and if it does stiffrn up them ribs or replace the bench. to replace the bench ur gonna hafta find a boat like urs to get the bench out of or buy some aluminum take measurements and find somebody with a brake to make you a new one then rivet it back in...

I'd really prefer to keep a bench there of some type, the kids need somewhere to sit

My brother came up with a simple way to put in or in his case move a bench seat. Go buy a 2x10 cut it to measure the width of the boat then cut two 10 inch 2x4's and mount them on the inside of the boat, place your 2x10 on top of them add a middle brace if needed and you are set. Or if you keep the middle open with a floor you can put in removable pedestal seats.

Tusker said:
My brother came up with a simple way to put in or in his case move a bench seat. Go buy a 2x10 cut it to measure the width of the boat then cut two 10 inch 2x4's and mount them on the inside of the boat, place your 2x10 on top of them add a middle brace if needed and you are set. Or if you keep the middle open with a floor you can put in removable pedestal seats.

X2 on the pedestals, they can be removable or permanent wich ever you prefer

Thanks guys, what's the secret to removing the carpet residue? I tried a heat gun and sharpened putty knife last night with almost no results.

For the carpet residue, I used Jasco Premium Paint & Epoxy Remover from Home depot and putty knife to scrap it or Brillo Pads. Later, I just brushed on the Jasco, let it sit and then pressure washed it off. Either way it will work without messing with anything on the other side of the material. Good Luck! Take a look at my boat thread, I had similar crap on the inside of mine also.

Thanks, guys. I decided I didn't want to deal with the mess a chemical stripper would create.
A 7" grinder with a 36 grit disk made short work of the carpet residue! Started painting yesterday too, the whole inside is now a nice clean looking slate gray.

I'm starting to think I'll just leave the center bench out. I'd rather have nothing than something that looks like it doesn't belong.

Latest posts