1998ish Mercury 15HP Two Stroke HELP!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiverLife

Reaction score
Hello all!

Well I got my boat out for the first time this year. She started right up on the first pull and idled ok. I shoved off and got about a mile down the river. When I throttled back to slow it down it acted like it wanted to die and then did. I took the cover off the motor and it was leaking pretty bad from the bottom of primer injector.

I held throttle open with my finger and gave it a yank. It started right back up and I was able to run full throttle back to the ramp. When I got home I pulled up a parts diagram online and discovered I lost a brass plug, spring, and check ball from bottom of primer injector. No big deal it must have vibrated loss and fell out.

I drove two hours to the nearest Mercury dealer. They had a kit on the shelf to rebuild the entire carb. Since it is a used boat I bought last year figured I would go through the whole thing since I had it apart. Also grabbed a water pump impeller and gasket.

Everything seemed to clean up real nice and it looks like new. It starts right up if throttle is held open. It is chugging bad and has a ton of unburned fuel coming from exhaust. I am pulling my hair out on this darn thing. Took carb back off to double check my work all seems well. I also replaced the bleeder hoses from cylinders to the carb. Is there a way to mix up the connections on those? I also replaced plugs and mixed up fresh fuel.

Right now I am leaning toward a new carb. Any good on-line parts houses where I can order one up and have it pretty quick?

Any other ideas or any sources for parts would be much appreciated. Thank You in advance!

If you do not have a service manual, you need to get one. You will need it again someday...

I down loaded one online and double checked everything. I have been working on small engines my entire life (not a lot of marine engines). Had this happen on a Honda motorcycle once where it was flat out a junk carb. No matter what I did it didn't respond. I finally broke down and paid five hundred bucks on that one and once installed hit the start button and away I went.
Usually carbs can be rebuilt and dialed back in. This thing is not responding to anything I do. Beautiful 80 degree day today and my boat is dry! Couldn't be more frustrated right now.

I replaced the fuel pump diaphragm. Yes it does have two impulse lines coming from cylinders to the bottom of carb. They do have fuel that shot out when I pulled the line off and cranked the engine.

Possible I have one of these lines crossed? I didn't think it mattered how I hooked them up. They go to a open T connector then to the carb. Fuel pump is part of the carb.

I double checked diaphragm and it only goes together one way and is all good.

Compression is right on the money and spark in both cyls.

Think I am going to order up a darn carb.
](*,)

Before you order a carb check your fuel filter. Take it off and blow through it. If you cant blow through it easily replace it. Just saying because you don't want to spend a ton of money and it turns out to be a $20 filter.

Filter is as clean as can be.

Not atomizing the fuel anymore with that old carb. I ordered a new one from Boats.net. Three hundred and on my front step in two days. Shots out to them.

Installed and it runs better than it ever has. Idles really well and seems to run nice.

Really sucks that I wasted a hundred on the rebuilt kit on top of carb cost and wasted a ton of time playing with junk. Lesson learned. Cut loose the cash and get things done.

Temps went from 80's to' 50's calling for 30's. Yikes! Probably end up covering her back up for another month. Pretty cold test run today. That's the Midwest though.

Thank you for all the replies.