2 Brothers Fall Through Ice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw this a couple of days ago. Very sad.

Years ago, fished Basswood Pond with my dad. It is stocked with trout and popular for ice fishing.

I say this with a sad, sad feeling's, First my heartfelt condolences to the family for their loss/ To know the love of fishing & to lose due to part of it is a part we all feel as sportsmen whether we know person or not, I am sure deep within each one of us!. I myself lost a cousin early spring trout-fishing rapids in the NY ADK'S. Fishing side pools and lost footing got caught in currant and foot got caught between rocks.
I also made a statement a week or so ago in reference to someone who mentioned about ice starting to form and maybe looking towards doing some ice fishing// I mentioned about not wanting to be a stick in mud about making statement of getting warmer and ??? of ice forming & the possibility of not doing any> 80 degrees in Washington yesterday { frickin crazy in Januaray.45 Monticello snow all gone
"TO ALL" ** PLEASE BE SAFE OUT THERE!! THERE IS ALWAYS NEXT YEAR!!!!**
It's not worth the chance!
SARANAC LAKE, N.Y. WAS NOT TOO SURE IF THEY WERE GOING TO HAVE AN ICE CASTLE! FOR*** WINTER CARNIVAL*** IT'S BEEN TOUCH AND GO WITH THIS WARM WEATHER & THEN COLD SNAP & THEN WARM AGAIN! May God be with you all!

The few times our saltwater lagoon was frozen solid enough for us to walk/build on I always tied a rope though the middle of an 8' 2"X4" and dragged it across the ice. If I fell in/through the board would have a better chance of spanning the hole and me being able to hoist myself out.

Sad for sure, but unfortunately not a rare event. Just glad that as a kid I always had a sense of how deep the water was. Growing up in the Midwest I fell through the ice a lot of times and just ended up with wet feet.

Really sad story. It happens in a split second. I went through the ice as a kid fooling around on thin ice on the creek. Was in the low teens that day. Had to walk a half mile to my grandmothers house. I was literally frozen from the waste down by the time I got there and my toes were turning black. Lucky my uncle was there and knew what to do and most likely was the reason I didn’t lose some toes.