20hp 4stroke merc vs 20hp 4stroke suzuki

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The welded or riveted HP capacity has nothing to do with how it is put together. It has to do with transom height, side height, length, and a formula to figure it out. The USCG site has the formulas to figure it out. I use it when I make my homemade wood boats to find out how much HP I can run.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=320154#p320154 said:
tomme boy » Today, 14:33[/url]"]The welded or riveted HP capacity has nothing to do with how it is put together. It has to do with transom height, side height, length, and a formula to figure it out. The USCG site has the formulas to figure it out. I use it when I make my homemade wood boats to find out how much HP I can run.
While this is true, most console driven boats are rated considerably higher than tiller control. Lowe and War Eagle boats are a good example as they usually list the HP rating for each. For instance a 2013 Lowe 1756 is rated at 50 hp. A 2013 Lowe 1756SC is rated at 75 hp!!!!!

I have had riveted and i have had welded and i would never buy another welded boat again,no give in the metal and they crack way to easy,as far as riveted i have never had one ever leak or crack on me,i have had like 10 riveted jons with no issues.I think IMO that riveted is way better because it has some give/flex in the metal so it's more forgiving.I have had bad luck with 3 welded boats,maybe just my bad luck,who knows.

I will continue to buy all riveted boats for the rest of my life over all welded jons and any fiberglass boats to.

This is some performance data i just wanted to post on the suzuki if anyone had interest on a 15hp or 20hp suzuki.The data is based on the 15 so just add a few mph to each of the performance tests for a 20hp.From all the youtube videos i have seen on the suzuki,most being the 15hp efi,it has a ton of power for a little motor,plus i'm going with the 20hp instead of the 15hp so i will have more hp and power to play with.On an inflatable boat the 15hp planned 4 full adults and went a suprising 33kmph which in mph is 20.5mph,thats pretty impressive with 4 people in the boat if you ask me.I'm only going to have 2 people and gear so my boat will probally fly.He also tested the boat with 1,2,3,and 4 people in the boat with the standard 10 pitch prop
1 person was 38kph=24mph / 1 person was 40kph=25mph
2 people was 36kph=22mph / 2 people was 38kph = 24mph
3 people was 34kph=21mph / 3 people was 35kph= 22ish mph
4 people was 33kph=20.5mph / 4 people was close to 35kph=22ishmph

THIS WAS ALL WITH A 10PITCH PROP / THIS WAS ALL WITH A 11PITCH PROP
ALSO ALL WAS DONE WITH A 15HP 4STROKE SUZUKI EFI,SO I WOULD THINK A 20HP WOULD GET A BIT BETTER RESULTS

Just for comparison, my 26 y.o. Nissan 15HP 2-stroke does 22mph with just me on a 14' Lowe Semi-V aluminum. It's really not about speed anyway, it's about getting on plane, IMHO.
I am still shopping for the fuel injected Suzuki 20HP and a new 16' hull though.

i just returned a 20 hp Suzuki -4 stroke short shaft electric start. Ran for all of 3 seconds. Then would not start at all. Had three mechanics look at it (very far from home) Decided to bring it back home to the dealer. First Suzuki said it was in the serial numbers that needed a new high pressure fuel pump and fuel sensor. So that was replaced. It worked as a pull start but the electric start wouldn't work. So then they decided that it needed a new cam shaft! At that point we said -- Enough! Off to buy a Honda!

If you want to go another route instead of the suzuki,i would go with the 20hp 4stroke merc.It's a proven engine and has a ton of power.I just can't believe you had so many issues with the suzuki.I guess there is a lemon here and there though in every batch.

You are the first one to post any problems with the suzuki,did they want to replace your motor with a brand new one or just fix it up?I go on a few dif forums and no one has posted any issues yet with this motor.This is also why i have been trying to decide between the 20hp merc or suzuki.The merc is a proven engine already while the 20hp suzuki is fairly new yet and may still have to work the kinks out.

Also the merc has the best tilt system out of any of the portable engines.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=324724#p324724 said:
JRB1960 » 04 Aug 2013, 01:58[/url]"]deciding between the 4 stroke honda or yamaha 20
any suggestions? Preferences?

recently got a 20 yamaha it runs and starts great. vibrates a bit more than I would expect but seems to be getting better the more its broken in. not crazy about the tilt system it has not sure if honda is any better. sounds like mercs rachet system is worth a look.

Latest posts