3-1 / 3-7-2009

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hengstthomas

Reaction score
Seaford & Concord Pond 2-28-2009

Met up with Sporto at about 7:30am and headed to Seaford for some YP . Tide had been going out for about an hour and water was still very high .. Overcast skies and winds 15 + MPH with very clear water .
It took us about 10 minutes to locate some fish but we managed some small YP with a few toads mixed in as well as a few LMB and 1 Gill caught by Sporto .
The day consuisted of mainly YP but we both managed about a half dozen LMB .
A few Neds ;)
100_3837.jpg

100_3839.jpg

100_3840.jpg

100_3841.jpg

100_3842.jpg

We had a double header LMB ..
100_3844.jpg

Yepp mine was the Fry :)
100_3845.jpg

I finally land the only Crappie ..
100_3846.jpg

Sporto get a Ned that spits up a minnow ..
100_3847.jpg

Found Goodies :)
100_3848.jpg

We caught quite a few YP today but most on the small side but plenty of action .
At about 3pm we decide to hit Concord Pond .
Tide was dead low and wind was of no concern here .. Water was stained .
Not much going on but we fished until about 5:30pm (2 hours) and got LMB , Crappie and Gills with a couple Golden Shiners . I'd say a total of about 15 fish were caught between us but no BIG fish .. Biggest was a LMB caught by Sporto .. Sorry no pics but it started to hail/freezing rain .

Another Great day :)
It was a pleasure as always to fish with you Sporto :)

3-1-2009 Seaford , Williams and Concord Pond

Brent (btk) Picked me up around 11am and with temps below freezing and winds 25+MPH we set out for Seaford .
The islands were covered with water and tide just starting to go out . The bite was very good when we first arrived but tapered off fast . We picked off YP , Gills and LMB and Brent also got 1 Crappie . We fished through wind and rain and I found out just how much Under Armor gloves help . I lost one yesterday and the hand without the glove was close to frostbite . I alternated the glove from hand to hand and its a fact in my book that the UA glove helps 100 percent .
We did get some nice fat Neds and also some thick 1 to 2 pound LMB .
At 1pm we hit the wooden walkway on Williams Pond and it took us about 20 minutes to find some fish . We picked off mostly Gills but also a few nice Crappie and 1 small LMB . We missed many fish because of the wind and bow in our lines .
The bite died off around 4pm so we set out for Concord Pond . Tide was outgoing and the sand bars was just starting to stick out . I ended up with 1 LMB , 1 nice Crappie and a dozen or so Gills ..
Brent kidded me about his "bad mojo" all day but I doubt that was the case .. The temps were brutal all night and today was BITTER and WET !

Brent we gotta do it again soon .. maybe a canoe trip ?

Broadkill 3-3-09

I dropped off the woman at 1pm and was at the Broadkill at 2:30pm . I saw that Diamond and Wagamons were partially frozen .
Winds were whipping at over 20 MPH and it was bitter cold .. Water was crystal clear .
Lure of choice was a black/chartreuse Crappie magnet . I got a few taps and adjusted the depth and found a nice 11" Crappie and after that I got into some 4 to 6 inch YP .. Played with the YP for a bit and then got a 7" Gill .. Tide was dropping so I adjusted depth again and started getting some nice Neds like this ...
100_3857.jpg

It was so cold and not having my other UA Glove made it almost unbearable .. Picture taking was out of the question after the first one .
I picked up another 15 YP . Tide was very low and the bite continued but it slacked off .
Fished from 2:30pm to 5pm and got 1 Gill , 1 Crappie and 15 nice Neds with another dozen 4 to 8 inchers .

I am gonna try a bit earlier tomorrow .

Yesterday snow pics ;)
100_3852.jpg

100_3853.jpg

100_3854.jpg

100_3855.jpg

Broadkill 3-4-09

Got there at 10am and fished to 11am .. Landed 3 nice YP and the bite stopped .. Tide was dead low with NO water .
I went by Wagamons and Diamond and both were FROZEN !
I'll be heading back in a bit when the water rises a little

March 5 , 6 & 7 - 2009

3-5-09 Broadkill

Hit the Broadkill at 7:15am and found Jeff already at it .. He said he got some small YP and had 1 nice Ned laying in the snow .
The bite surely was hot but we did get a few fish and Jeff got to take a few Crappie and YP home for Dinner .
So in the first 2 hours with a slow bite we managed about 4 Crappie (3 kept) and about 6 more YP (3 total kept) . We talked and watched the birds and even saw some fish swimming right at out feet (small gills) . We even saw one fish that was stuck in a hole in the rocks jump out and swim to freedom :)
Around 10am we took a stroll down the creek and fished the point ... I got the only bite but didnt hook up . Jeff in the meantime finds some treasure ... We found necklaces , keys , earrings , cuff links , bracelets and a locket .. Jeff also had a gold watch that dropped off the tip of his rods and fell back in the water . Anyhow it looked like someone robbed a home and seperated the real from the costume and just chucked it into the water .. Man that sucks .
We stroll over to the wooden walkover bridge and find its only 1 foot deep and we can see the bottom and ZERO fish .
We make our way back to the docks and fish with no more bites so at about 11am we ride over to Diamond and find in frozen .. So was Wagamons . I called it a day shortly before noon .

3-6-09 Broadkill and Diamond

Got to the Broadkill at 6:45am and found the YP there ..
100_3867.jpg

Caught quite a few but the majority were only 4 to 8 inches but still had some nice ones in the mix ..
100_3868.jpg

Atleast nice by the Broadkills standard size YP . I had to run to Dover at noon so at about 11am I headed over to Diamond and found both Wagamons and Diamond free of any ice . I fished Diamond for about 40 minutes and landed 6 Crappie .. 2 Nice 12" er's and 4 8 to 10 inchers .
I stopped at Walmarts and K-Mart and picked up a few things .
100_3869.jpg

100_3870.jpg

100_3871.jpg

3-7-09 Diamond , Wagamons , Broadkill , Seaford & Williams Pond .

Met up with fishoholic at 6am at Diamond Pond .. We were on the water by 6:45am . The winds were calm with overcast skies and looking very promising but the sun and warmth from yesterday caused oxygen to form under the slime and grass on the bottom and as more air got trapped the debris would float to the surface .. It was a mess . We get to the spot and the whole center is full of the debris so we hit the far side with the most open clear water .
I got a nice Crappie on my second cast but didnt take a pic because I just knew I'd get more ...
30 minutes later or so I get a YP ..
100_3872.jpg

And of course some toothy critters wanted to play ..
100_3873.jpg

100_3874.jpg

It pretty much died after that except for a pickerel about every 30 minutes ..
We made a few moves but found the same .
We started tossing all kinds of plastics , cranks and spinners and I finally settled on a Stickbait ..
100_3877.jpg

That was it for the panfish .. 1 Crappie and 2 Neds .
That stickbait was like a magnet though because it brought LMB , YP and lots of Pickerel to the boat but they wouldnt bite it ??? It was still a blast to watch all those fish come chasing the lure and when I stopped the lure they'd just stare briefly and haul arse .
Atleast the Pickerel played ..
100_3878.jpg

Check out his tail ..
100_3880.jpg

100_3881.jpg

Well atleast fishoholic didnt get skunked .. he landed a pickerel in the early hours but released it before a pic .. He asked me about throwing crankbaits and I advised against it because of the Pickerel but politely said not to let e sway him not to throw one ... What happens ?? 1st cast with the firetiger crank he gets slammed by a nice Pickerel and 5 seconds later the fish had a trophy .. Bite it clean off .
Kinda hard to believe this is the same place I fished all last week .
We called it quits at 2pm .
Sporto was fishing from the road so he followed me home and I dropped of my truck and we hit Wagamons Pond .
Fished the whole road with no bites so we headed out back to the Broadkill and found it PACKED !!
I made 3 casts and had a guy cast acrossed me twice .. The tide was just coming in and they had chummed up the water pretty good so we decided to head West ..
We hit Seaford at 3:45pm .. I get 2 small 5" YP .. The tide was HIGH but just starting to go out . We saw some nice Crappie way in the back behind Island #3 but they were out of reach . With the tide being wrong we settled in on Williams Pond . The winds had picked up and with the long casts we'd get a BIG bow in the line and setting the hook was almost impossible . We got LOTS of bites but few hook ups . I kidded around about having to take 2 steps backwards to set the hook but I did it and I got a Crappie :)
100_3883.jpg

So we did get a few fish .. Gills , Crappie and Sporto got a small LMB . We stayed till dark picking off a fish here and there until we could not see the bobber anymore .

Saw too many people to remember over the 3 days but it was good to see everyone out there .

bassboy1 said:
Tide? Freshwater crappie, pike and perch? How does the tide effect freshwater ponds?

Some of those areas are tidal - they connect to the Delaware Bay. You get about a 4.9' tide twice a day

bassboy1 said:
Captain Ahab said:
Some of those areas are tidal - they connect to the Delaware Bay. You get about a 4.9' tide twice a day
Are they brackish or freshwater?

Freshwater

The Delaware River is tidal and mostly freshwater for a large section as are many of the other rivers here.

Maybe a dumb question, but do you eat those Perch? Are they tasty?.....I have never had any.

By the way, great catches!

ilinimud said:
Maybe a dumb question, but do you eat those Perch? Are they tasty?.....I have never had any.

By the way, great catches!
I used to eat them and they are quite tasty ;)