3-8 to 3-16-2009

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hengstthomas

Reaction score
Broadkill & Seaford 3-8-2009

Started out at the Broadkill at about 7am and found Nick and Tweet there .. Nick was chumming shrimp and catching a few med Crappies . I got a few bites and landed 1 decent Crappie so I figured they had fed the fish well over the last 2 days with chummed shrimp so I headed to Seaford at about 8am
I arrived at Seaford and found it desolate and low tide just starting to come in .
I picked up YP until the tide ran me of the island . I watched a group of guys catch some small YP and LMB and took them all .. I left disgusted and called it a day at about noon .

3-10-2009 Broadkill - Wagamons - Seaford - Records - Williams

Got a real early start and arrived at the Broadkill at 6am .. IT WAS Dark :)
I saw lots of fish popping but could not see my bobber so I headed to Wagamons and gave it a shot from 7am to 8am and caught 2 small Gills and 1 nice Crappie . Boats showed up and were fishing right where I was fishing so I gave in and made the journey to Seaford .
I got there at about 9:30am and the tide was very high and just starting to go out . I caught 2 small YP and 1 nice Gill in an hour so again I packed up and headed to Records .
I took a walk first and saw lots of Herring so I grabbed my gear and tried the spillway .. I had 3 hookups but landed none so I went down to the floating dock and I got 2 Herring and 1 Crappie on a Sabiki Rig .. Yepp all in one shot .
100_3884.jpg

I hooked 2 more Herring and then Crappie started to pound the Sabiki Rig so I switched to a Crappie Magnet and caught about a dozen nice Crappie and a few 5" er's .
The Herring stopped and the Crappie bite died so I went over to the Handicap Pier to try for YP and Crappie . First fish was a nice Red Ear ..
100_3885.jpg

The Handicap Pier recieved a facelift and looks GREAT :)
100_3886.jpg

100_3887.jpg

100_3888.jpg

I got 1 more Red Ear and a Gill and the winds were too much so I packed up again and hit Williams Pond at around 3pm .. First fish again was a Red Ear ..
100_3889.jpg

100_3890.jpg

100_3891.jpg

Missed lots of fish again due to the bow from the wind but I still did pretty good .
Quite a few nice Red Ears and Crappie ..
100_3892.jpg

100_3893.jpg

And of course lots of Gills ..
100_3894.jpg

Then I hooked my first White Perch of the year ..
100_3895.jpg

I had another that was Very Nice but it fell off when I lifted it over the 4 foot rail ..
At 4:30pm the Crappie took over and some nice ones :)
100_3896.jpg

100_3897.jpg

When it was just about dark and hard to see the bobber (again for the second time today) I got a LMB to send me home :)
100_3898.jpg

OK now for the fish story :):)
When I was at Records Pond and walked down to the floating dock a guy had 1 Herring on the deck and was packing up and left . I guess about 45 minutes later I see a guy fighting a fish at the next bridge down so I took a walk to investigate .. It was that same guy and he had cut that Herring up into chunks . He was using a Crappie rod with 6 pound test (so he said) and he landed a 44" Striper .
A little while later I saw my friend Henry who said his friend caught a 42 at the same bridge on a live Herring .
And Lastly I was told the Herring have been there since March 2nd ..
Looks like Yul was the closest ;)

What a long but entertaining day :):)

3-11-09 Broadkill , Diamond & Some local LMB

Hit the Broadkill at about 10am and found the tide high with winds at 15 to 20+ MPH .. The water was very dirty . I did see some fish popping (Crappies) but tried for 30 minutes without a bump ..
Packed up and went by Wagamons and there was white caps with winds right in your face .. I strolled over to Diamond and again the winds were almost directly in your face but I gave it a shot for about 30 minutes with no bites ..
Picked my brain about where to go next because I had to be home at 2:30pm.
I decided on some LMB .. From 11:45am to 2:15pm I landed about 20 LMB with none over 2 pounds ..
Stickbait ..
100_3899.jpg

I never seen so many spots on LMB ..
100_3900.jpg

100_3901.jpg

100_3902.jpg

Missed a few more on the stickbait so I switched to a Senko Wacky Rigged ..
100_3903.jpg

Got 2 more like that then switched to a Spinnerbait (Plain) ..
100_3904.jpg

100_3905.jpg

100_3906.jpg

I switched again to a Spinnerbait with no skirt but added a Rubber worm ..
100_3907.jpg

Caught about 6 like that and missed many small fish that just hung onto the chartreuse tail .
I worked a Senko again on my way out looking for a worthy fish but it wasnt to be had ..
100_3908.jpg

100_3909.jpg

This spot "WAS" always good for atleast 1 4+ pounder but in my last 4 trips I havent got one over 2 pounds .
Too many people taking them :(
Bastages :angry2:

3-12-09 Moore's Lake

I started out at Broadkill but the chummers were there and it got crowded . There was only 2 guys there when I got there and they had about a dozen nice Slabs on small Minnows while chumming dead shrimp . I was told there was a lot of regulars there earlier chumming with lots of shrimp and I could tell . You could see fish all over the basin popping but the wouldnt bite . This I think happens because of too much chum ... Anyhow I landed 2 nice Slabs and 1 Gill and headed to Dover to fish Moore's Lake .
Someone told me that they havent been able to catch fish in the spillway and I have been dying to go and give it a shot .. Its my home water ;)
First thing I notice is fish popping everywhere .. Most were Gizzard Shad but also Crappie and Gills (You could actually se them . The water was slightly stained and almost low which isnt ideal but after a few tail grabbers ..
100_3910.jpg

That has to be the smallest Crappie of this year for me :)
I kept trying the Bobber but kept missing fish so I adjusted the depth a few times to no avail and then just took the bobber off and switched from a black/chartreuse Crappie Magnet to a Yum black/chartreuse Twister and it was GAME ON !
100_3911.jpg

100_3913.jpg

100_3912.jpg

100_3914.jpg

Played with them for about 2 hours and then tried the lake and got a tiny Gill ..
100_3915.jpg

I had 1 nice LMB take a swipe at my twister but never came back for it .
A few casts later I was in a tree and lost my rig so I called it a day .

I am glad to see the fish are still there :)

Broadkill 3-14-2009

Hit the Broadkill at 5am and used a 2" White Twister under a bobber with a light stick attached to it .
Caught Crappie and Gills until about 7:30am when the tide bottomed out and the sky brightened up .
Most Crappie were this size ..
100_3934.jpg

But I did get a few around 12 to 13 inches and some Nice fat Gills .. The fish were popping everywhere .
The last fish was a tagged LMB at 20.5" and a release Citation
100_3935.jpg

100_3936.jpg

100_3937.jpg

100_3938.jpg

What a Sweet way to end the morning :)
I'll be heading out again in a bit ;)

Williams Pond 3-15-2009

Met up with Paul (jarjar) at my place at 8:30am . He brought the boat just incase we might need it but if it was like yesterday then NO boat necessary .
We arrived at about 9:15am and found Sporto and his nephew sticking a few nice SLABS :)
The bite started off slow for us but we found some fish . We all got nice Crappie and some Gills and some got LMB .
My biggest Crappie today ..
100_3941.jpg

100_3942.jpg

Sporto got a release citation Red Ear and yesterday his nephew got a release citation Crappie .
100_3943.jpg

100_3939.jpg

100_3940.jpg

We nailed slabs until about 2pm and Sporto and his nephew left shortly before the bite died .
Well after about 30 minutes of no bites I see Paul unloading the boat so we struck out in search of another bite .
We landed quite a few LMB and some fat ones too and Paul had one break him off right at the boat . We also got some really nice Red Ears and Gills .
We moved around a few times but ended up back where we were fishing from land to finish the day .. We pulled out at 6pm .
For a March day that rained all day and cold temps we surely nailed some nice fish .. I wish I could have taken more pics of the fish but like I said it never stopped raining .

Sporto and Dwayne it always a pleasure to fish with you both and Paul .. Its about time we finally got to wet a line again .. Lets not wait a year for the next trip ;)

Williams Pond 3-16-2009

I got a call at about 8am from Jeff (bambeklr) and he said he just pulled 5 days of "daddy duty " and needed to wet a line so I told him to get situated and give me a ring ... I got another call at 9:15am saying he was about ready so I headed to the Broadkill to meet up with him .
We got to Williams at about 10:30am and after about 15 minutes we found the Crappie and picked them off pretty good for the first few hours but by 2:30pm the bite had slowed considerably but we still managed some nice Crappie and a few stray fish as well .
Jeff (he respooled with my 6# Omniflex) and got in the groove :)
He got a Live Release LMB at 21" and fat as heck ..
100_3944.jpg

Then gets a nice 25" Pickerel thats also a Live Release Citation :)
100_3945.jpg

We slayed quite a few Citation Crappie as well and I even got 2 nice Red Ears that also were Citations ..
100_3948.jpg

Lets not forget the Crappie :)
100_3946.jpg

100_3947.jpg

Nick showed up around 3PM but the bite had slowed and by 4PM we were headed out .
Baits were Fin"S" and Crappie Magnets .

Jeff I hope I help you curb the Cabin Fever :)
You know where I live now so dont be a stranger :)

Nice lunker bass!!

What are the "Live Release Citations" you always mention in your post? I have never heard that before...

ilinimud said:
Nice lunker bass!!

What are the "Live Release Citations" you always mention in your post? I have never heard that before...

These - The State of Delaware gives them out for various species over a certain length. Since they are so nice looking Tom decided to get one of every species in a year if he can (I think he can do about 90% of the fresh water and maybe 50% of the salt - we are taking bets :lol: )

They are 8.5" x11" and suitable for framing

citation_004.jpg