40 hp Mercury fuel problem

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pakmansr

Reaction score
Hello, need a little advice I have a 1995 tracker V17 with a Mercury Mariner 40 hp I restored but having some problems with the motor stalling replaced fuel line from splash wall to motor rebuild fuel pump and take it out and run it on the lake getting it up to 25 mph but will stop and fish and try to start and it will run and stall and if I push my choke I can keep it running somewhat but it continues to stall I squeeze the primer bulb and it will start and then stall again. And the primer bulb does not come back like it has a Suction problem. I'm thinking maybe an Obstruction
in fuel line in tank. Does anyone have any advice?

If it's collapsing the primer bulb, you have a clog between the primer bulb and the gas - maybe the filter on the pickup in the tank?

I was thinking that but. Hopefully that is it. I thought about putting a portable tank on and seeing what it would do. But I will just go ahead and pull the tank and see. Thanks.

Is your tank letting air in properly? Once you pull fuel out, the tank needs to take air in. Did you check your tank vent to make sure it's not clogged? Also check for any fuel line kinks from the bulb to the tank.

Ok I pulled the tank and broke fuel pick up line. ordered new old one had some varnish in tank and inside fitting not sure if it was in tank from before I broke line or not cleaned check valve just in case this is not my problem what other conditions could be causing the issue I am having motor starts idles good and runs at full throttle then after I stop and restart.it starts acting up or won't fully idle sometimes it will run then die. Pulled hose it restarts. And dies. Rebuilt fuel pump fuel filter is clear does anyone have any ideas what it might be wrong?

You didn't check the tank vent which was recommended.. does the primer bulb still collapse?

GYPSY400 said:
You didn't check the tank vent which was recommended.. does the primer bulb still collapse?
Agreed ... you need to test this. Run it with the fuel fill open. If it doesn't stall, then you have a clogged vent line somewhere.

If it still stalls, I find having to pump a primer bulb to keep an OB going is a sure sign that the fuel pump is bad. Maybe the rebuild didn't work ...