5-29 to

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hengstthomas

Reaction score
CHP 5-29-09 (Stats)

Last nights stats at my last check around 3am .
1 keeper Me
1 keeper wannafishallday
and his brother also had 1 keeper
1 keeper Chump
1 keeper Right Hook
2 Keepers Fishbait
2 Keepers Rehawk12
2 Keepers fingersandclaw
2 Keepers Bambeklr
Not sure about Okimavich ?

I got there late at about 12:30am and stopped at the first light when I saw Jimmy (wfad) .. :) He was having a blast with TB's so I rigged up 2 White Gulp Shrimp and began to land a few of my own .. I had 6 in about 20 minutes and lost 2 more . I noticed Jimmy was basically vertically jigging and I tell him to cast out into the dark .. There are all over and the bigger ones will hang back in the dark (shadows) ;) He hooked up immediately and I believe from that point on he was casting out a bit farther than he was :)
Glad it worked for ya Jimmy .. The Keeper was a bonus :):)
Anyways the whole gang showed up but it was Chump who I hopefully helped catch his first Keeper Flounder :) .
Everyone had an agenda of their own and I slipped out to midway on the pier where I run into Jeff who already has 2 keepers . I slowly worked my way out but the farther I went the bite faded to nothing so I worked the mid pier and picked up my keeper there with some more TB's .
Everyone slowly left except for me and Steve and we picked at them . We had a run of Snapper Blues come in at the bottom of the tide while it was ripping pretty good .
I found myself alone for the last hour and got a few more TB's with 2@18" .. I watched 2 nice Flounder surface but could not trigger either with what I had .
I packed it in when the mist and fig returned around 7am .

Its great to watch the majority of the fish caught taken by "DF" MEMBERS !!
WTG guys ;):)

I also saw oldsnow and spoke with him for a few .. He wa on his way home .. As always Harry it was Great to see you .

Steves "UGLY" Striper caught last night

0528092144-01.jpg

5-29 / 5-30-2009 (After the Storm)

I called Steve and both headed back to the pier .. I arrived at about 10:30pm and found the water extremely dirty with winds from the NW at about 10 to 15 MPH with light mist .. They had just reopened the pier about 20 minutes ago ;)
I got to the first light and saw an old friend I havent seen in 2 years .. PABob was there with his sons so I decided to squeeze in and chit chat until Steve arrived .
The bite was definitely off but after some searching I found a few fish :)
I got my first keeper at about 10:45pm just as Steve and Jiro showed up .
It was very frustrating because whenever someone caught a fish lines would go right to that spot no matter where they were standing on the pier and I noticed that most payed NO attention to where you were or had just casted .
I picked up my second keeper and then had to move ..
I went to the next light and tossed under the pier and got my 3rd keeper and when I turned around I saw Jiro with a nice 23" and change .. WTG Jiro !
100_4193.jpg

At this point I decided to head for the end of the pier and fish deep for maybe a bigger fish and just to have some peace !
I banged a lot of 12 to 14 inch Flounder out there and slowly worked my way back .. I found pods of Fish at almost every light but they were small until I hit the midway mark .
I was banging them on just about every cast and these were slightly bigger so I hung out at that light until this kid thought the all the fish were where I casted .. Did I say it was frustrating ?
I moved to the next light and 5 TB's and 2 missed fish later I have my 4th for my limit :)
Took about 40 minutes to get 3 and 4 hours to get #4 .
I ran into ihuntde (Rick) and we shot the sh!t for a bit and caught some fish .
I saw Steve right after that and he had 2 keepers but he lost atleast 1 more that I witnessed . He headed out to the deep and I went to check on Jiro before heading home/work .
Jiro had 3 keepers ..
100_4194.jpg

My 4
100_4195.jpg

100_4191.jpg

Rick it was great to see you again and hopefully we can wet a line again soon ;)
Jiro and Steve .. It was a pleasure like always :)

Added later ..
WTG Steve on a nice limit of Flat ones :);)

IMG00185.jpg

5-31 / 6-1-2009 (Flat Ribbons)

Ok so Jimmy pretty much covered 5-31 . I was late but got there at about 3:30am and fished till about 6am with just a few TB's . The water was dirty and the fish had lockjaw or the pressures (anglers and weather) had the tight lipped .

After work me and Jimmy returned and fished from about 3:30pm to about 7pm . I got about 12 Tb's and lost 2 nice fish .
When I got home I had a message from Steve saying that a nice lady caught a 24" Flounder right where the 3 of us were fishing .. Thats fishing folks :) WTG Mrs Bubba !!
IMG00187.jpg

Jimmys 2 keepers
2009-05-31002.jpg

Jimmy and I had a great Flounder dinner thanks to the little woman and afterwards Jimmy made the trek home while I passed out :).
I returned to the pier at about 3am and found Mr and Mrs Tiny Bubba still at it and was told that they were getting fish on about every 3rd cast :)
I fished the whole pier from the beach to the barricade with 3 TB's so this news was well appreciated .
The Bubba's decided to pack it in leaving me the WHOLE pier to myself :):)
I tried Bluefish Strips with Gulp but didnt get a hit so I switched to Flounder ribbons on top and Bluefish on bottom and bang Keeper at 19" .. It was on from that point on . After the 3rd fish on Ribbons I took the Bluefish off ;)
I fished till about 7am with a total of somewhere between 30 and 40 TB's and most were 12 to 16 inches .. The water was low and outgoing and much clearer than earlier :)
At sunrise I played with a few Snapper Blues and snagged a few Bunker in the process . The sunrise was exceptional but I didnt have the Camera ..
I left at 7am and headed home to clean up for work :(

Flounder Ribbon

Essentials ;)
DSCI0002.jpg

Fillet ..
DSCI0003-1.jpg

I filleted the Brown side "my way"
DSCI0005-1.jpg

And the White side "the normal way"
DSCI0004.jpg

Take a knife or scissors and trim off the Ribbons ..
DSCI0006.jpg

DSCI0007.jpg

Cut them into Strips ..
DSCI0008.jpg

And add them to your Jig/Hook :)
Hope that helps ;)

Peace !!
DSCI0011-1.jpg

Your hired...nice filleting job.
Nice report as usual,must eat alot of fish:)

ok so I learned something new today... When I saw the white sides I thought you had skinned them while you were there - even around the lips! Then when you filleted them you had the "brown side" and "white side"... I take it the white side never sees the light?

russ010 said:
I take it the white side never sees the light?
Typically not but sometimes when they are surface feeding they smack the top and show you thier bottom (White side) on the way back down .. Makes them easy to spot ;)
When they are born they have one eye on each side that slowly migrates over to the "Brown" side .

russ010 said:
hengstthomas said:
russ010 said:
When they are born they have one eye on each side that slowly migrates over to the "Brown" side .

That is weird!! I had to go back and look at your pictures closer just to see that roving eye!

Here's a picture of the different stages fluke/flounder (and all flatfish go through).

Attachments

• Flounder Life Cycle.JPG
    Flounder Life Cycle.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 200
Nice report as usual, good looking striper and awsum flatties, excellent fileting, your tinboats version of ZORRO with a filet knife =D>