6-5 to

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hengstthomas

Reaction score
Lewes Beach 6-5-09 (citation)

My neighbor has been hounding me for some Conch and some Sharks so I have been telling him that after a storm you can pick them up from the tideline pretty easily . I was watching the weather contemplating goiing out when I get a knock on the door ?? It was 4:00am so I was taken off guard . I cant believe the old man got up and actually knocked on my door but I took it that he really wanted these Conchs .. LMAO :)
We arrived at Lewes Beach at about 4:30am and I set up 2 rods for the Sharks with Bunker and Shad and then gave John a headlight and sent him off while I walked the other way . I had 3 Concks in 15 feet when the first rod went off .. I run over and set the hook and call John over to reel it in .. I hand him the rod when the other one gets slammed and goes slack .. I rusdh over and reel in slack and still feel the small head shakes so I set up on it .. Hmmm fish feel like a sack of potatoes with no fight at all ?? I get it close and John says its a skate but I am not sure as it surfed the last 5 feet up to my feet .. It turned out to be a 26.5" Flounder .. I couldnt believe it ! After taking out the hook I noticed this fish was extremely malnourished and had 3 holes in its head that didnt look good , looked like it escaped a Gig .
Anyhow it was a great time for a release Citation because there was no way either of us would eat that Flounder . I wonder if fish get gangrene ? What a shame for such a large fish :(
Anyhow I get both rods back out and continue to walk .. we have over 20 Conchs when the rods both go down .. I set up on one and hand it off and grab the other .. Again I get the potatoe sack while John fights another 4 foot Sandshark and I land a SKATE !
So now we have our limit of Sharks and he want a few more Conch so another 20 minutes and he cant even carry them all :)
We pack up at 5:45am totally soaking wet with 2 4ft Sharks and 35 Conchs . John is a happy man :)
Now I guess I have to get used to the Spanish music coming from next door while they have their get together :)
Wet morning with a nice surprise :)
I was wondering how I would get my release citation and whether or not I'd be able to turn a Doormat back but this was a no brainer :)

Regrettably no pics the cam was in my truck at home .

Later that night on the Pier

I didnt get any keepers but I did get 1 @ 18.25" and another @ 18" and with 1 @ 17" the rest were all about 10 to 13 inches .
As the tide rose I crept towards the beach fishing the "holes" and did pretty well with an increasing bite as more water came in .
I finally had to call it quits and head to work but in the last hour (from 4:30am to 5:30am I Landed more fish than from 1:30am to 4:30am .
Pink Mullets with Flounder Ribbon worked for me as well as a few on White Mullets .
Total for the 4 hours was about 25 to 35 fish with ZERO keepers .

CHP 6-2 / 6-3-09 (1st Canoe Trip)

I tried like heck to find a copilot but struck out so I went SOLO for the first Canoe trip of 2009 .
I arrived at low tide around 10pm and found the water dirty and relatively no wind .. The weather called for light winds all night and into tomorrow so my plan was to stick it out all day .. THAT would soon change !
I walked the pier and chatted with 2 Park Employees that were doing a check (Aron was one of them) . Anyhow I was waiting for the tide to come up just a bit so I wouldnt have to walk the canoe out and over all those darn sand bars .

Low Tide Pics

For all practical purposes we refer to the lights that are over the water when we count them .
This was from the light on the right as you walk out .. No water at this light .
100_4199.jpg

Down the beach ..
100_4200.jpg

Left side as you walk on ..
100_4201.jpg

Looking toward Cape Shores Pier ..
100_4202.jpg

Down the beach on the Left ..
100_4203.jpg

1st Light on the left .. 3 nice holes before the next light ;)
100_4204.jpg

2nd light on the right looking towards the 1st light ;)
100_4212.jpg

2nd light on the right looking straight out ..
100_4211.jpg

4th light on Right straight out ..
100_4214.jpg

4th light on Right looking North .. Notice the work in progress ..
100_4216.jpg

3rd light on Left looking back ..
100_4218.jpg

5th light on Right ..
100_4220.jpg

Bucktail Bob and a fellow unrecognized Angler wading ..
100_4222.jpg

This looking North showing the pier show how far out they really are ;)
100_4223.jpg

2nd on right ..
100_4227.jpg

2nd on Left ..
100_4228.jpg

1st light on Left ..
100_4229.jpg

1st on right ..
100_4231.jpg

1st on the Left Different angle ;)
100_4230.jpg

I just wish you could see what I see with my Fishy Glasses :):)

They have begun to work on the skinny part so at lowtide the bite will not be great . They stirred up some heavy dirty water and made LOTS of noise . I hope they get done soon .
Also looks like a canoe or yak wont help now that they have the floating skimmers back out around the only light out there .
Anyways the "holes" change but look close and you can pick up some nice spots to fish ;)

I was on the water by 11pm .. I paddled out and just free floated .. if thats what you want to call it , it was so clam I didnt move at all . There was a boat under the light and they had just fired up the motor so I waited and watched them do a few tight circles ?? Then they slowly motored off ?? Hmmm I guess the fish were not biting !
So I row up to the light and set the anchor . I had Bunker all around me .. They were everywhere as well as some larger fish trying to eat them :) .. Plan was to get some Flounder and try for Trout and Stripers .. So Floundering I go ..
I rig up a tandem with Pink Mullets and bingo first cast is a keeper at 18.75" .. I caught about 10 TB's in the next 30 minutes with most being 16 to 18 inches and 1 at 18.25" .
The Bunker are running into the canoe and some are even jumping up on the Yellow Foam Floats and flipping like crazy .
I move to the other side and its on .. 3 more keepers in the first 5 fish and they were just about in a row . I pounded them until the winds picked up and shut off the bite ?? I kept trying and after about an hour and 2 TB's the bite resumes as the winds die down .. I get 2 more keepers at 19" and 19.25" and they are released with way too many TB's to count .. The bunker kept hitting my line and causing me to try to set the hook thinking it was a Flounder .
I played with the TB's and lost a very nice Flounder while reaching for the net . The winds picked up again and the waves got to 2 then 3 footers with lightening , rain and white caps so to be safe I pulled the hook and headed to shore .
I Paddled till I could hardly breath and only on the left side and not 1 stroke on the right .. It was a washing machine all the way in and it took forever .. by the time I got to the sand I was about 200 yards away from the pier even though I was paddling towards the pier the whole time . By the time I got everything loaded back up I was about to pass out !!
I would have took out the weathermans voice box if he was near me at this point .. Bastage !!
Oh well cant complain too much :):)
DSCI0016.jpg

CHP 6-7-2009 (Canoe 2nd trip)

I hit the pier at around 11pm and found Eddie , Steve and Bill all on the pier as well as about 50 other people but many were packing up . The tide was outgoing and water stained . I walked around a bit and shot the breeze with a few folks and then shortly after midnight I started to prep for the launch .
Push off was about 12:15am and as I paddled out I saw a boat coming near and hoped they would not take the light .. Turned out to be Richdog and his wife .. It was great to finally meet ya Rich as well as your other half ;)
I picked off 3 TB Flounder and 1 11" Trout and then decided to switch side and fish within the floats and advised Rich to move closer to the light .
The move prove to be the ticket and by 1:30am I had my limit and missed 2 nice fish as well .. I kept at them landing 3 more keepers to 19" and losing another nice one .
All in all by 3am I had 7 keepers landed and lost 3 really nice fish (over 20") as well as about 30 TB's and a half dozen lost tails to Snapper Blues .
100_4238.jpg

100_4240.jpg

100_4235.jpg

100_4236.jpg

I went and shot the chit with Rich for a bit and gave a few pointers then picked off a few more TB's and 1 more keepers before calling it a day .
Eddie was at the end with 1 keeper on a stringer and I saw Steve and an old DF member Eric .
Eric and Steve headed out in the yaks ..
I get home and find a PM from Jimmy after I unloaded the canoe .. He stated he'd be here before sunrise .. I wish I knew that .. I could have waited and let him play in the canoe while I was at work .
Tandem Rigs with White 4" Gulp Mullets .. With or without Ribbons ;)
Upon leaving I heard that some nice 30 to 36 inch Stripers were taken from the pier with Bunker .
Another great night !!

Rich and his wife ended the night with ..
fishing2009005.jpg

fishing2009009.jpg

fishing2009011-1.jpg

WTG Rich !! Mrs Rich I love the shirt ;):) !!

6-8-2009 CHP (Canoe # 3)

I got off work at 3pm and arrived home at 3:30pm and found Jimmy waiting on me :) . I had a limit of flatfish to clean so that was first .. Got done and made coffee , had dinner and started to get ready . We were locked and loaded at 8pm .
We got to the pier around 8:30pm and was told it was slow but it didnt matter as long as it was calm :)
We paddled out and saw very little of anything going on .
Dropped the hook and we picked at some TB's in the 17 to 18 inch range until the bite just stopped .. Made another move and sat there for awhile with Jimmy landing the first keeper at 18.75" .. I didnt wait long and 2 keepers of my own before Jimmy nailed his second .. I landed 2 more for my limit and we both picked at some decent TB's .. FAT & HEALTHY !
We made a couple moves and picked up more TB's before we finally settled back to the honey hole where Jimmy lands his 3rd keeper .
Jimmy tried but it wasnt in the card even though the fish were still biting "I had to go" .
We fished from 8:30pm to 6:15am with 7 keepers and quite a few nice TB's .
100_4241.jpg

Sorry for the lack of pics ;)
Saw Redhawk (Tim) on the planks as we pulled out .

Every trip now I get one step close to unlocking them Weakies ;)
A VA Trip is also in the works :)
Tight Lines Folks !

I swear those are some wicked eyes... and I still can't get over the one's "migration" to the brightside! Love the pics man!

Glad you had a great fishing trip with the neighbor...you won't hear the music at the pier:)
Good job,great eating.