82 Evinrude missing@idle/slow & running@2/3rds throttle open

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BloodStone

Reaction score
Hello All hope your summer is going well;

Onto my problem, I have a 1982 25hp Evinrude with controls on my 14.5' Meyers mod (post pics of finished project this fall). Anyway, the motor at idle mode/slow speeds misses frequently & when I go to open it up in gear, it doesn't plane out at all- acts like it's only on 1/2 or 2/3rds power. Last year a mechanic claimed he rebuilt the carb & placed a new fuel pump on it (when the motor was on a different boat which wasn't a good match-kept the ob & sold that boat). This year after I finished my mod, I placed said 25hp on the boat, took it back to the mechanic to hook up the controls & instead of costing me a $100.00 it cost me $225.00 plus an additional $90.00 for a new CDI. Anyway, a week later I placed the motor in a tank & it ran like crap. Missing alot on idle & acting like a sponge when I put it into gear. I replaced the plugs with NGKs & it didn't help much & also bought a entirely new alcohol resistant fuel line, primer pump & fuel connectors. I finally took it back to the "mechanic" :roll: & after 3 hours he said it ran fine...BULLSH*T! :-x I Took it out to the lake the next day & it still missed every few seconds at slow speeds & idling. And what's worse, she wouldn't even go up on plane with the throttle handle all the way up. After talking to another chap who also had a 14.5' semi V but with a 25hp Mercury, he said that his boat was pushing at least 30mph on the water. Btw, the neutral warm up level has about a 1.5 second delay in acceleration as the lever is lifted (aka there is no gradual increase in rpms). I've checked the fuel lines, even cut ends off & re-fitted them & still the problem remains (& yes, the gas tank was vented properly each time with fresh 50 to 1 gas). I still believe the problem is likely fuel related (maybe timing but the "mechanic" :roll: said timing was dead center). But admittedly, my mechanical skills are limited at the basics so any constructive & practical suggestions would be appreciative. Thanks in advance.
P.S. The prop is brand new, the boat was not overly weighted down with people or the mod, so it's not that with the no planing issue.

It is likely that your link & sync is not correct. I do not think you have an air silencer on that 82' so a good quick check can be to look at the butterfly on the carburetor when shift lever is in neutral (boat does not have to be running or in water) and they should be closed. Now push the shifter all the way down to WOT (wide open throttle) and the butterfly should be almost perfectly parallel. If this is not the case then one of us can walk you through the link & sync procedure. FYI to properly fine tune your slow speed idle the boat HAS to be in the water (not a barrel) and in gear running at lowest idle.

Also if you run it again pump the fuel ball while its running. If it speeds up you can count on it being the fuel pump.

Yes, there is an air silencer on the '82 model engine.
I would take it back to the mechanic. Be nice and be factual. Have him place the engine in a test tank and run the engine with you if at all possible.
We can go through all kinds of checks here but the fact is that you paid hard earned money to have the engine placed in good running condition.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=326148#p326148 said:
Pappy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:05 pm[/url]"]Yes, there is an air silencer on the '82 model engine.
I would take it back to the mechanic. Be nice and be factual. Have him place the engine in a test tank and run the engine with you if at all possible.
We can go through all kinds of checks here but the fact is that you paid hard earned money to have the engine placed in good running condition.

Thanks for that advice but, I think that "mechanic" :roll: is as clueless as Homer Simpson. To give you an idea, he wanted to blame the engine's poor performance on the fact that I used a small amount of "Sea Foam" in the fuel tank. :shock: Claimed he rebuilt 3 OBs because the owners used Sea Foam. :roll:
Btw, I DID take it back to him & he insisted it "ran fine". Yeah in a tank (still sputtered) not on the water!
So I'm done with that *******! Not being a suck up but, most of you guys here know more about motors than he does after "25 years experience."
(someone needs to tell the "mechanic" that whacking off doesn't count as mechanical experience-sorry but I'm really POed).
So any other suggestions & where exactly is the "air silencer"?

Sea foam does not ruin outboards.......idiots ruin outboards. I use seafoam in my motors each year and have never EVER had any issue with using it. I would not take my motor to someone who makes claims that seafoam ruins engines.....just my opinion. Your air silencer if it has not been removed will be mounted to your carburetor.

Latest posts