95 days to go or should I say 10 now

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's your exit date? 12/31/2015? Then 59 more days. I'm getting ready to stop working, too. I retired from the Postal Service on 12/31/2004, but was offered a part-time job right afterward. I've been there ever since, but only about 10 hours a week. It's easy, and if anyone pisses me off, I know I can just walk away. Can't believe I've had this part-time gig over TEN years. (nearly 11) Keep counting. I'm watching with you.

01/08/2016 at 1500 hours is the date and time - that leaves me with 67 days 6 hours and 54 minutes from right now but who is counting :mrgreen:

I guess it is up to me to mention some of the downsides to retirement. :cry: You never get any days off anymore and NO MORE vacations! What's a weekend? All of a sudden you realize you don't know what day of the week it is. :shock: Then you remember you don't care what day it is! :mrgreen:

Here's to good health and a long and happy retirement! =D>

fool4fish1226 said:
yep 95 days until retirement - just don't know what I gonna do - Trust me I have bunch of crap I need to catch up on - but what first? - I won't miss the job - trust me I am done - being a jailer for the last 26 years I have seen a lot - Even found my wife in jail - stop :LOL2: she worked there too - She retired about a year and half ago after almost 26 years - Any advise from others out there that are living the good life????????????????? :beer:
Hang in there!!!! You'll make it!!!!

'm quite a ways from retirement However I would say keep up your health and get plenty of exercise .Enjoy life you have earned it.

I've been retired now for 16 years. I recommend it highly.

I was "bored" after one year and I thought I should go back.... just one day a week. To keep my hand in, as they say. Quite willing to work for $1.00 a day. (My son took over my business).

Well, that didn't work. In my profession, you are either there 5 or 6 days a week, or you are retired.

After a few futile months of not really being helpful to anyone, and trying to work short days on a short week, I chose to stay with the retirement mode.

I did spend the last 20 years of employment working with new retirees. What I learned from them was that all of them had too much time on their hands for a while. However, after one year, nearly all of them said " I don't know how I had time to work...I am SO busy now!"

You will quickly find lots of things to do, but you might have to reach out for them. Sitting at home watching daytime TV will either cause you to get drunk often, or fight with your wife. Either choice can shorten your retirement time (and life) measurably.

No one will knock on your door and ask if you can come out and play. Well, maybe another fisherman might, but that's about it. Volunteer; join the YMCA; get involved with a local wood-working group; join Toastmasters and learn something completely new.

Heck, a couple of years ago, at age 73, I decided that I should go act in a play. I had never done any such thing unless you count doing a reading in English class at age 16.

I thought they could use me as a "spear-holder" or "doorman" or something light and easy. Wound up with the second lead in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". Two months out of my shortened life, but.... it was great!

There is no end to the things that you have before you. Choose wisely and you will KNOW why you are retired, and why you never want to go back to work again.

Now that I have six Saturdays, and one Sunday every week...life is pretty great.

regards, richg99

richg99 said:
I've been retired now for 16 years. I recommend it highly.

I was "bored" after one year and I thought I should go back.... just one day a week. To keep my hand in, as they say. Quite willing to work for $1.00 a day. (My son took over my business).

Well, that didn't work. In my profession, you are either there 5 or 6 days a week, or you are retired.

After a few futile months of not really being helpful to anyone, and trying to work short days on a short week, I chose to stay with the retirement mode.

I did spend the last 20 years of employment working with new retirees. What I learned from them was that all of them had too much time on their hands for a while. However, after one year, nearly all of them said " I don't know how I had time to work...I am SO busy now!"

You will quickly find lots of things to do, but you might have to reach out for them. Sitting at home watching daytime TV will either cause you to get drunk often, or fight with your wife. Either choice can shorten your retirement time (and life) measurably.

No one will knock on your door and ask if you can come out and play. Well, maybe another fisherman might, but that's about it. Volunteer; join the YMCA; get involved with a local wood-working group; join Toastmasters and learn something completely new.

Heck, a couple of years ago, at age 73, I decided that I should go act in a play. I had never done any such thing unless you count doing a reading in English class at age 16.

I thought they could use me as a "spear-holder" or "doorman" or something light and easy. Wound up with the second lead in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". Two months out of my shortened life, but.... it was great!

There is no end to the things that you have before you. Choose wisely and you will KNOW why you are retired, and why you never want to go back to work again.

Now that I have six Saturdays, and one Sunday every week...life is pretty great.

regards, richg99

Rich - all great advise - Now I am down to 29 calendar days

Getting close to "D" day. Keep a positive attitude, take good care of your health and family, and things will work out fine. I have been retired for two years now, and I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Just remember, if you don't finish what you are doing today you can finish tomorrow. Don't worry about the bucket list, do what you feel comfortable with.

Best of luck,

John

Well it is a true count down now with only 10 calendar days to go. Going to spend the next two days in the woods with my son and buddy looking for deer and hogs, then back to work on Monday the 4th and then FRIDAY is it :beer:

Good for you. Saturday would be your first day of freedom, however it is a Saturday.

Monday would be the first work day on which you did not have to go to work. Anything planned for that very special day?

richg99

I may go do some hunting/scouting in an area I plan on hunting allot more or just set there and look at my wife smiling, she has been retired for just over two years now (poking fun at me as I leave for work everyday) and I think the smiling thing will worry her a bit. :D

Latest posts