A quick survey who trailers their boat with the motor in gear?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recall being surprised to hear when an airplane loses an engine, a windmilling prop will produce more drag than one that isn't spinning (fixed prop that cannot be feathered). Don't know if it is true. Also don't know why I'm sharing this other than the discussion triggered my memory.

I had a boat motor mechanic tell me years ago to place the boat in reverse to avoid the wind turning the prop and the entire drive shaft which puts additional wear on the bearings, gears and whatever.
The same thing goes for carrying bicycles without preventing the wheels from turning---additional wear.
Ok. I guess I have to follow my boat to see if the prop is spinning.

I’ve heard of guys forgetting to raise their kicker motor, going like a bat of somewhere and damaging the gearcase. A few more rpms in this situation than a slowly turning prop in the breeze.

So, might the windmilling prop cause the water pump impeller to spin - in a dry invironment, without water to lubricate it leading to accelerated wear?

So, might the windmilling prop cause the water pump impeller to spin - in a dry invironment, without water to lubricate it leading to accelerated wear?

The driveshaft (which turns the water pump), is directly coupled to the powerhead. No amount of wind would be able to rotate the powerhead via the prop.

The gearcase is splash lubed, if anything is turning there is lubrication, engine running or not. In theory, every revolution the prop makes creates wear, but with essentially no load on the components, it is negligible at best. In a perfect scenario (the motor hangs close to vertical on the trailer, and the wind was unobstructed on the way to the prop), I could see the prop getting some speed going and I wouldn't want that, but it's never been a problem on my setup, nor have I ever seen a prop on the highway turning more than a few RPM. As mentioned, it's a CYA thing from manufacturers.

Many manufacturers recommend reverse over forward due to the overrunning clutch in forward gear, the prop can ratchet without turning the driveshaft. Ever have a motor stall underway and hear click-click-click as the boat slows down? That's the clutch doing it's job, it's there to prevent swamping from the engine braking if you let off the throttle too quickly. There is no ratchet in reverse, prop is locked to the powerhead in both directions.

In all my years of boating ... maybe 55 or more in a boat running it myself ... I have NEVER seen this topic raised or discussed anywhere!

I've also never read it in print, in any of my manuals, but mostly have had OMC motors. Also NEVER had any issues. With Merc, maybe it's just 'lawyer speak' ...

I do want to recognize #BigCity and give him a big thanks for coming back on here and expanding upon his input, thanks!

In all my years of boating ... maybe 55 or more in a boat running it myself ... I have NEVER seen this topic raised or discussed anywhere!

I've also never read it in print, in any of my manuals, but mostly have had OMC motors. Also NEVER had any issues. With Merc, maybe it's just 'lawyer speak' ...

I do want to recognize #BigCity and give him a big thanks for coming back on here and expanding upon his input, thanks!

As the bones turn to dust…. :)

Here is the page in my Merc 150hp OP manual. Myself, never heard about it before seeing it on a recent FB group. Surprised when I found it in the manual.

Myself, sticking with neutral. Maybe it’s from old outboards that could start in gear.

Attachments

• IMG_8740.jpeg
    IMG_8740.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 2
As the bones turn to dust…. :)

Here is the page in my Merc 150hp OP manual. Myself, never heard about it before seeing it on a recent FB group. Surprised when I found it in the manual.

Myself, sticking with neutral. Maybe it’s from old outboards that could start in gear.

Same, exact graphic in my 2006 Merc 150 manual