Added PVC DIY Slick--strips to my bunks today. Under $15.00

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe cutting off some of the gutter on the winch end of the bunks would allow the carpet to hold the boat on the ramp while the gutter still helps the boat slide up/down easier? I imagine if you take a bit off @ a time and experiment @ the ramp you can find a happy medium.

I just noticed this as I am redoing mine. I'll have to see how that works with 2x6 bunks like I have. FYI back when I worked for the government we had this booth that had a booth with a 40lb sliding window. The bottom track was long since gone and the aluminum was eating right down into the frame. This window got opened and closed about once a minute all day 24/7 . Of course being cheap GSA just wouldn't fix it so I ripped a piece of PVC pipe down the middle and slid it down there. The thought was that when it wore out in a month I would put in the other piece then repeat as needed so nobody had to drag that heavy window over that grating cutting mess of ragged aluminum.
Long story short it lasted 3 or more years until they finally rebuilt the whole booth. Figure that the heavy window slid back and forth a minimum of 300 times a day and it's amazing that it lasted at all but it did. So how much wear do you figure a boat sliding over it occasionally is going to have, none. So now to find a piece of PVC that I can coax into a more or less flat surface and I can get 8 inches of width out of . Then I can screw it from the sides.

driz said:
I just noticed this as I am redoing mine. I'll have to see how that works with 2x6 bunks like I have. FYI back when I worked for the government we had this booth that had a booth with a 40lb sliding window. The bottom track was long since gone and the aluminum was eating right down into the frame. This window got opened and closed about once a minute all day 24/7 . Of course being cheap GSA just wouldn't fix it so I ripped a piece of PVC pipe down the middle and slid it down there. The thought was that when it wore out in a month I would put in the other piece then repeat as needed so nobody had to drag that heavy window over that grating cutting mess of ragged aluminum.
Long story short it lasted 3 or more years until they finally rebuilt the whole booth. Figure that the heavy window slid back and forth a minimum of 300 times a day and it's amazing that it lasted at all but it did. So how much wear do you figure a boat sliding over it occasionally is going to have, none. So now to find a piece of PVC that I can coax into a more or less flat surface and I can get 8 inches of width out of . Then I can screw it from the sides.

Look at Home Depot for garage door trim. Its about 8" wide and is grooved on the back. The front is textured like siding

We use it for snowmobile trailer glides. The carbide runners of the skis slide right up it in the grooves. I think it would work perfect for your bunks
its thick and real tough. You could just screw it down using the grooves to place the screws in

looks kind of like this but it was cheaper, they must have different varieties

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Royal-Mouldings-10-ft-x-5-51-64-in-x-43-64-in-Vinyl-Jamb-Moulding-0249710015/100005798

I have my strips all ready cut out on my next trip to the boat ramp. I am going to look at my two rollers on my trailer, I might replace them too. I am going to add a safety chain to the wench in case the boat decides to slide back off the trailer after I pull up off the ramp.

Sounds great.
I always have a safety chain on.

It gets removed First...and the strap at the last moment. That is because, if your boat slips backwards, you can use the winch to pull back. If it is on the chain...you have no way to pull the boat back up the ramp. Hope this is clear.

Very happy with my PVC Gutter covers.
* In salt water use, no carpet holding salt against the hull
* Due to low friction, no need to even immerse axle bearings to launch or recover.

Latest posts