Additional lights!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dotchess

Reaction score
I am adding 6 lights to my boat on a separate switch. all are pulling less than .064 amps.(they are leds)

Can I run one hot and one ground to all of these and run that wire back to my toggle then to my fuse box? Would 12 gauge wire be enough to run them all with a 14 amp fuse?

I am electrically ignorant but could not imagine running 6 separate pos and neg to each one on separate lines.

You can parallel the lamps and break the + leg w a switch. 12awg is overkill but will be fine. You are pulling less than 1 amp.
Unless you already have the wire I would do the math a bit closer.

Bob Landry said:
I answered his questions a couple of posts down. I guess he didn't care for my answers.

I actually went to West marine and followed your guidelines for the most part. Decided on the 16 gauge and 14 gauge AWG tinned wire.

One thing I will say is with all your information I now feel a lot more confident about doing this project.

After going to the West marine store I feel even better about it.

I have bought all the necessities to accomplish this project. One thing is for sure. Marine wire is a heck of a lot more expensive than regular wire!! Also went with the insulated jacket red and black together.

Also found 2 1 million candle rechargable lights that will fit into my 12 volt cig lighters. They were marked way down so I could not turn them away.

Normal price was 29.99 each. I got them for $15 bucks each with the 2 year replacement warranty! Could not turn that deal down!

Got out of there with everything for about 75 bucks so I am happy.

The only question I have now is what amp fuses do I want to put on these two wires.

Thnaks in advance!

If the lights are the rechargeable type then they have an internal battery that powers the light, and the only reason for plugging them in would be to recharge them. Seems like your best bet with that type would be to have them charged when you head out and not have to worry about plugging them in to the boat. Either way, those power point/cig lighter type plugs are rated at 10 amps so a 10 amp fuse should be all you'd need on there.

Yep! I am going to charge them before I leave but if I need to charge them on the water while jug fishing I would like to be able to as well.