amateurhour's 14' v hull restoration (new pics 04-15-13)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
amateurhour said:
I did get a lot of work done though, I got about a quarter of the interior done but I've still got a lot to go. At least it's clean now.

033113gettingthere.jpg

033113somuchwork.jpg

Can you tell the detailed process you used to get the hull that clean? I am having a hell of a time with mine....

Just posting to say good luck, and am enjoying following your mod,. I follow most the smaller V haul mods if they have lot pictures. Kind of like playboy in my younger days. Not much for the articles, but the pictures keep me interested!

jvanhees said:
Can you tell the detailed process you used to get the hull that clean? I am having a hell of a time with mine....

- 1 14.4 volt black and decker power drill
- 1 (so far) nice brass coated wire wheel brush for the drill (the good ones that are like $6 at Lowes) (this is for the detail work in between the nooks and crannies)
- 1 el-cheapo angle grinder
- 1 wire wheel brush for said angle grinder (cheap ones are fine, but don't use the cup brush, I got one of those and it's been useless, get the flat round one)

A LOT OF PATIENCE! Seriously that's it. That super clean hull (or the 1/4 of it I finished) is the end result of like 4 solid working hours on the boat over a week. It's an extremely slow process, and stupid since I plan to paint the interior so all I really need to do is wash it and scuff it up a little, but I'm kind of OCD so I have a goal to get it to bare, beautiful metal.

The outside will be a LOT easier than the inside because I don't have to go through as many little odd angles to clean it all up.

I also got a few cans of rustoleum self etching primer and the only reason I haven't been spraying that down as I've made progress is because right now it's stored in my garage so I'm not really worried about the elements attacking it.

I borrowed the drill and angle grinder from a buddy along with an air compressor (for blowing out the dust and stuff when I'm done) and he gave me a paint gun for the compressor, but you can get all of that stuff and the brushes from harbor freight for under $100 on sale most weekends.

Seriously though, if you're going to paint the inside just wash it really good first and then just scuff up whatever paint or corrosion is in there and then lay down some primer. I'm just OCD about it and want to really, really have it clean before I start.

Other people have recommended aircraft stripper coupled with a pressure washer which will do the same job WAY more quickly and pretty cheaply too, but I've got dogs and stuff and don't like messing with chemicals so I'm doing it the old fashioned way.

Good luck!

Also, the main reason I'm taking so much time in the detail is because I decided against decking it and I'm trying to keep it really clean and vintage. I'm getting the same quality lumber for the benches as I'm using for the transom and staining and then putting spar over it so it'll look like an actual 70's boat, because it was originally named the "Old Timer" and I hate to change a boat's name so I guess I have to change the way I build the boat : )

I like it! And thank you very much for all the info. When I saw your boat it brought me back to an old outboard I had with a sticker on it "old fisherman never die"..... You may have just given me the boat name I needed!

Updates!

So I'm ALMOST done getting this beast down to bare metal. This is the culmination of over 20 solid hours with the angle grinder and drill

041513almostdone.jpg

041513almostdone2.jpg

This is all that's left, and I should have that wrapped up today.

041513whatsleft.jpg

Also, I scored a new 30lb trolling motor at a yard sale (took it over to west marine and tried it out on a battery and it runs PERFECTLY!. I gave a $25 lowes gift card for it and it looks maybe 1-2 years old if that.

041513trolling.jpg

THEN, I traded my 5hp Briggs outboard which I wasn't even sure if it ran or what it would need. (it had spark and compression though, I knew that much) on craigslist for a 3 hp gamefisher air cooled outboard which runs like a champ, so I now have a running motor and a trolling motor!

041513gamefisher.jpg

Here's my two new babies side by side

041513motors.jpg

So to recap...

I gave a $200 bass pro gift card for the boat, motor and trailer.

I gave a $25 lowes gift card for the trolling motor

I traded the non running 5hp for a running 3hp outboard

Also I cleaned up those bass fold down seats and they're still in pristine condition under the gunk, no cracks or wear, and both the bases are in great shape too.

I've got a total of $40 in this boat so far of my own money. : )

Next comes new benches and then it's time to tackle that trailer.

Good work so far dude! The stripping down is the hard part, just don't get in a hurry and you'll eventually get to the building up part. $40 That great! Wish I could say that. But, mine is just something for me to do since I live alone, it keeps me out of trouble.

Got the entire interior stripped to bare metal this weekend (finally, Jesus that took forever) and started priming it with the rustoleum green. Thought two cans would be enough for one full coat. HA!

So I'll be picking up six cans this weekend to knock out the rest of the first coat and the second coat, plus touch ups. After that it's truck bed liner throughout.

Pics coming later once I've got a full coat in.

I also got it registered too which is nice cause now it's all mine!

amateurhour said:
Got the entire interior stripped to bare metal this weekend (finally, Jesus that took forever) and started priming it with the rustoleum green. Thought two cans would be enough for one full coat. HA!

So I'll be picking up six cans this weekend to knock out the rest of the first coat and the second coat, plus touch ups. After that it's truck bed liner throughout.

Pics coming later once I've got a full coat in.

I also got it registered too which is nice cause now it's all mine!

I used around 7 cans on my build of this https://www.aircraftsupply.com/prodimages/IMG_0965.jpg

I had some tired fingers before I had it all done, buy the el-cheapo walmart paint can attachmnent!! :beer: