Any bikers out there?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like poolie says, ride, ride and ride some more. This week I made 90 miles including two 30 mile rides and 2,448' in elevation. I've been using an app called Strava to keep track of my rides. You can use it for biking, running etc. It keeps track of routes, route segments, personal records, ride times, average times, miles for the season. It's pretty cool and it's free. I'm really slow but I'm giving it hell. Well, at least what I've got left...

Lesa and I do a fair bit of riding......We just got back from an 11 day/9 state ride at just over 2300 miles. Mostly stayed in Maggee Valley then headed as far West as Missouri before heading home to Florida.

Lesa's bike.

Mine.........

And we still have Lesa's red and white that she started riding Valkyries on.

crazymanme2 said:
Here's my ride.

Nice!
Lesa and I do a fair bit of riding......We just got back from an 11 day/9 state ride at just over 2300 miles. Mostly stayed in Maggee Valley then headed as far West as Missouri before heading home to Florida.

Love riding that part of the country. Those Valkyries were some nice looking bikes. The new version doesn't have the same appeal to me.

Dang Pappy!!! Those bikes look massive. Never seen one before, how much does one of them weigh? Those seats sure to look comfortable for making long rides.

The one with the bags (Tourer) is around 800# wet. The naked ones are prob around 760-770# wet.
Plenty of cylinders for smoothness and tons of power when you want it. Both are nice features when touring the country.

On our way West from Maggie Valley. Loaded up.
Lesa on hers.

Me, trying to keep up!

The KZ1000 I bought in 1978, aftermarket muffler and sissy bar, rest is stock. Bought it new for $2300, gave it to my brother in 2008, he sold it for $3500 in 2012.
018.jpg

Bike I have now, 2003 honda sabre
sabre left side.jpg

Tim

Pappy said:
Am thinking when we sell the Red/White Valk Tourer that the next bike will either be a:
Suzuki GS1100 (old school)
Triumph Legend (old school)
Honda GL1200 Wing (naked version)

Oh no kidding, I have owned a half dozen of these, 81 EX's and 83 ED's. I used to restore them and averaged 15k miles a year. Here is the 83 ED I was most proud of:
GSParts-3-L.jpg

This is my current sport tourer, 2006 Yamaha FZ1 pretty heavily modified to put 147 hp to the pavement. 438lbs. It's a little bit quick:
FZ1.2009-L.jpg

Pappy, if you get interested in picking up a GS, make sure you join up at www.thegsresources.com. I have 15k+ posts over there and that doesn't include what was on the previous site changed over like 12 years ago.

What a summer. After my bike crash in June I managed to break a couple of barriers in July - some personal bests - until I took a little trip to to the bottom of the shower and managed to break a different kinf of barrier - 4 ribs (6 fractures in all) and wasn't able to ride for five weeks. I got out this morning and like the Phoenix of old, rose from the ashes of my former self. Not a great ride at 21 miles but enough to feel like I'm back in the saddle again.

I should also relate my tale of shame related to the above. I laid in the bottom of the tub till the first responders came and then found myself standing bare-assed naked in front of three perfect strangers who dried me off and helped my into my underwear and clothes. It was a pretty low point and a window into the future :mrgreen: . And I should also mention that the cost of a bath mat is pretty minor when compared to a $9000 hospital bill. I was at my daughter's and they have very soft water. No mat and very slippery.

Finally, hats off to first responders!

bobberboy, That reminds me of a time I was taking a shower and when finished I heard the phone ringing in the living room. I ran from the shower through the master bedroom (which has carpet) into the kitchen (which has linoleum) where I slipped down with my wet feet and slammed into the wall of the washroom. There I lied naked, dazed and confused for a minute wondering what happened. I didn't manage to break anything but my pride and confidence. After gathering my wits I limped back to my shower to continue to dry off.

I've been out three times already this year - at least two months ahead of usual. We had 65° here in MN a couple of weeks ago. If this is global warming, I'll take it. I have friends (younger and more fit) who can ride 3-4k miles in a season. I've set my goal at a grand. At my age (66) a 20-30 mile ride is about all the gas I've got at one time. To reach 1000 I've got to have 20 weeks of 50 miles @. It's doable but something always seems to get in the way. I'm usually off to a good start but then seem to let it go mid season. Sometimes it's the heat - sometimes I fall and break some ribs! Laziness is often a factor.

I've been tinkering with my gears this season. My early season bike is a 7-speed and I just changed the crank gear to a smaller one to give me more bottom end (to help move my bottom end!). By the time it's safe to get on my road bike I'll have got some strength back in my legs and will be good to go for the season.

Woke to snow this morning...

I started riding about 6 months ago looking for a way to exercise that didn't make my back hurt. I was really surprised how much I liked riding. Right now I'm avg 7 to 10 mile rides; my longest ride is 26 miles. Now that Spring is sprung here I hope to ride more and get my avg distance and speed up.

14390822_10209794045501744_8244862645436842735_n.jpg

I've been out 10-12 times since the beginning of the year but I never really stopped since this winter has been pretty mild. I still ride in shorts if it's in the upper 30's or warmer, 29 and flurries was just too cold and dangerous. I generally ride for around 1-1/2 hours, sometimes take the 2 hour loop, but every way back to my house finishes with an uphill climb. I have no idea how far I go, I just have several routes that take the right amount of time. I got 2 bike rides in last week, took the boat out fishing 4 times and played golf twice, not bad for February! :mrgreen:

Well, I did just pick this up.. An older Trek 730..

2B4BACF3-9EC0-4667-89BF-8FCDEB853E5D.jpg

But I'm not a biker.. I'm a motorcyclist who owns a bicycle..

My regular ride is a 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere, but I have 7 motorcycles from the S10 to a 50cc scooter.. I ride about 20K miles a year, but I'm not a biker.. [-X

S10.jpg

to

00505_h5gUpSvuDET_1200x900.jpg

And everything in between.. Including dirt..

IMG_4067.jpg

Latest posts