Any opinions on the G3?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nlester

Reaction score
Has any one had any experience with the G3? A friend of mine is looking at an 18' deep V. They are a few thousand dollars cheaper than the Lund. He wants to get a deep V because several of the lakes can get a little rough some times.

i have a guide v 14 .love the welded hull.it feels really solid in choppy water.g3 is a well built boat for the money.i'd reccomend one to anybody.

Any brand new boat will be a good boat... but, the Lund is more expensive because it's worth it.

Lunds are built stronger and sturdier and their resale value is one of, if not the highest of the aluminum boat makers.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the G3s but I visited their website recently and took the virtual tour of how the G3s are made and I'm not overly impressed with their below deck framing/construction. They use longitudinal stringers instead of elevated ribs, this leaves fewer options for floatation foam installation and amounts. It also leaves something to be desired for below deck drainage.

If I was going to buy brand new and finance the boat I would definitely go for the Lund instead of the G3.

i looked at the lund before i got the g3.tell your friend to look at the welding and the thickness of the aluminum,then compare pricing.rivets over welds?the g3 will be the one not leaking like a sieve down the road.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=346767#p346767 said:
bcbouy » Yesterday, 20:58[/url]"].rivets over welds?the g3 will be the one not leaking like a sieve down the road.

Not even in your wildest all aluminum welded hull dreams!

How many threads have you seen on here, or any where about "My Lund is leaking!"... not many if any. There may be a couple, but not even a handful. Lunds are that well made.

You will find quite a few of "My welded hull is leaking!" threads though, welds crack and break.

... and it's a heck of a lot easier to replace a rivet or 12 than it is to weld up and aluminum hull with floatation foam behind it. You'll see what I'm talking about on down the road when one of your welds breaks and then you have to remove the decking and dig out floatation foam so the weld can be repaired.

I was told by someone that G3's have wood in transom. May want to double check that.

G3 couldn't hold a candle to Lund! The only thing G3 has going is they are pre-rigged with Yamaha. I know of many Lund's that have sat outside all year long uncovered and do not leak a drop. In fact out of the 100 or so people I know that own Lund, including myself, not one of them leaks a drop of water. 8)

I have a friend that has a welding shop. He fixes A LOT of the G3 flat boats. The welds always seem to crack where the front deck drops off to the floor on the sides. And the seats on the sides the same way. And the corner transom braces. They are better than a Tracker but not anywhere near as good as a Lund.

A few thousand dollars is nothing over the life of a boat. And not to mention the added resale value of the top quality boats like Lund, Alumacraft and Crestliner. You will never lose the extra money spent on those types of boats.

Latest posts