anybody know anything about stators? 86 johnson 25hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegr8cody

Reaction score
Was running my boat last month and everything was going good. Was running wot and it just died. No spitting or sputtering just quit like i hit the kill switch. Then nothing..... Couldnt get it to fire. Got it home and tinkered with it a while got it to run for a minute so took it to run it. Made it about 100ft and soon as i went to get on it she died. Brought it back home and never could get it to start. Re did all my grounds. Disconnected kill switch, it doesn't have a temp sensor on it. Put on a brand new powerpack. It ran on the muffs. Next day brought it to the ramp.it started fine idled good, then same thing. Made it 100ft and,soon as i went to get on it she died and back to no spark. Only thing i can think of is the stator. any suggestions?

have you checked the spark and if so how did you check it? im guessing you think it has no spark because it wouldnt start...

I took the plug out and made sure it was contacting the block. Had someone pull the rope while i watched for a spark....

thegr8cody said:
I took the plug out and made sure it was contacting the block. Had someone pull the rope while i watched for a spark....

holding your plug against the block while pulling rope start will in no way tell you if you have good spark or not, to check spark correctly the spark plug cannot be a part of the equation....

spark tester (640x264).jpg

make one of these to check if your coils are good and giving you good spark, spark will jump that 3/8 gap and be bright!! blue and make a sharp snapping sound if your coils are good...

thegr8cody said:
Thats the way ive always seen people check for spark.

thats checking your plugs to see if theyre fouled. has nothing to do with your coils being good or bad trust me. but like i said id start with the fuel system if it starts and idles but dies when you give it gas theres something going on there...

Well i went to start it this morning before i messed with it again amd it fired up first pull. Ran for about five minutes on the muffs then shut off. Kept it same rpm the whole time as the last two times it was in gear and right when i went to take off it died. Thanks for the diagram im gonna try that tomorrow

Have you checked to make sure your fuel tank vent is not clogged? Have to checked after it dies to see if the fuel bulb is still firm?

JMichael said:
Have you checked to make sure your fuel tank vent is not clogged? Have to checked after it dies to see if the fuel bulb is still firm?

start from there and check fuel lines to pump then pump to carb to make sure its getting fuel and if so then you wanna remove the carb and clean it and get a rebuild kit and rebuild it. if you have not messed with the throttle rod or cam adjustment its most likely a carb problem. also ya gotta remember that your boat will run and idle differently on the muffs then it will on the water running. all idle adjustments must be made on the water with engine warmed up to operating temp. when you give it throttle does it start to rev then die or just die right away?

Bulb is firm after it dies. It doesnt always die when i go to give it gas. If i get it started it runs fine. I can rev it while warming it up and it does fine. Its just the last two times i was on the water it started fine and idled fine just idled a little ways in gear then.went to give it gas and died and never would fire back up But the day it started acting up i was running wot and it was running good then just suddenly quit with no missing or anything just up and quit

thegr8cody said:
Bulb is firm after it dies. It doesnt always die when i go to give it gas. If i get it started it runs fine. I can rev it while warming it up and it does fine. Its just the last two times i was on the water it started fine and idled fine just idled a little ways in gear then.went to give it gas and died and never would fire back up But the day it started acting up i was running wot and it was running good then just suddenly quit with no missing or anything just up and quit

i would have to say with 99% certainty
that something got into your carb and is clogging it.
you can by a carb kit for 15-20 bucks so you can rebuild it
and thats what i would do, its easy. do you have a fuel line
filter between the tank and motor? if not id get one of those too...

How hard is it to rebuild, im learning as im going..... How much would a shop charge to do it just in case i cant tackle it

thegr8cody said:
How hard is it to rebuild, im learning as im going..... How much would a shop charge to do it just in case i cant tackle it

its not hard at all! if you can remember how to put something back together after taking it apart you can do it, theres nothing tricky to it...very basic. not sure what a shop would charge, probally what they charge for one hour of labor. call around to any mechanic(marine or automotive) and ask what they would charge. but unless your completely incapable of any mechanical aptitude you will have no problem doing it yourself. and you can take pics of each step when taking apart for reference when putting back together...

Have you checked the wiring from the stator for shorts? Sounds like a wire is shorting out to ground. Just a thought.

Steve

Yes all the wires looked fine. Decided to pop off my flywheel and check things out and luckily i did. The stator and.timerbase were covered in oil/grease. Apparently my.crankshaft seal decided to go out on me. Gave everything a wipedown amd all my wired looked good. Stator and timerbase looked good. Nothing that stood out but that was my first time seeing them so that doesnt really say too much haha. Hopefully gonna order my parts tomorrow from boats.net as theyre the cheapest ive found and were recommended by a mechanic. Im not sure how it works exactly but do you think those parts being covered in grease were making it to where it didnt have a good connection to build up energy or whatever. I tried uploading a picture but its too wide

thegr8cody said:
I tried uploading a picture but its too wide
Open an account at Photobucket.com or one of the other free photo hosting sites. It's free and you won't have to worry about how big your pics are because you can just link the pics to here.

I uploaded it to photobucket and tried pasting the img code and it says to wode

https://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/thegr8cody/20121218_142303.jpg

thegr8cody said:
I uploaded it to photobucket and tried pasting the img code and it says to wode

https://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/thegr8cody/20121218_142303.jpg
Go to your photobucket account, click on "upload". On the right side of the screen near the top click on "customize your upload options". Select a size of 800 x 600, or smaller if you wish and it will resize your pictures for you when you upload them. You should be able to paste the img code then.

Latest posts