Atwood Fuel Tank question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImWired2

Reaction score
I do not know if this is the right place to put this thread. but there is not a section for fuel tanks.
I have an Atwood 6 gallon tank in my Lund and the fuel gauge has stopped working. Now I have looked at it and it seems to be a collar that holds it in place and was wondering if someone would know how to remove it so it can be changed?
Thank you for any help with this
ImWired2

My old style Attwood that still has the manual vent doesn’t have a gauge. But I can see the silhouette through the side and I have yet to burn a full tank in one day.

It is a simple mechanism. Maybe the float arm got stuck. Might be easy to stick a bent wire in and try to jiggle it free.

Mine (Scepter) has a bolted on flange. The one you have looks like it could be threaded but I really don't know.

I have the same tank, and the same problem. In mine, the little arm that holds the float broke.
I need to go to the attwood site to see if they have a replacement, as my tank in under a platform and you can't see the level without taking the tank out, which is a pain. I generally just lift it and judge by the weight.

If I find anything, I'll post it here.

I have a new Scepter epa tank that sit with fuel in it while I was working on the boat. My shop gets hot but I noticed I never seen it swell so I figured the new venting system was working well (supposed to vent at 5 psi I think). I got ready to use it and dusted it off good. And decided I wanted to see it vent so I set it out side an a concert side walk in the sun in Texas. I did some other work while keeping a close eye on it. All day and it never swelled not a little. I picked it up and turning it upside down it started to drip from the cap. There’s the problem it leaks so it always vents. New tank never used warranty expired. I tried finding a replacement cap for it and the cost over half as much as I paid for the tank. That’s why I’m using my super old plastic tank with the manual vent. But when I store it I has to leave the vent open all the time or it’ll swell up and the older tanks were not made to withstand the pressure like the epa ones. I like the idea of self venting tanks. Way less fuel evaporates while not running the motor and storage.

"Venting all the time" might cause some of us to get nostalgic about the pre-EPA tanks that didn't swell up like a balloon. The most misguided of us might think your problem isn't such a bad thing.:) I assume you can still twist the little doober on top of the cap to close the valve if needed. If yes, then it is no different than the old tank you are using.