Auto Mechanic question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loggerhead Mike said:
Sorry bud didn't mean to sound like an ***

Not taken that way.

My response wasn't meant to be an @$$ either.

No harm no foul.

We're cool.

:)

Had that happen on my van. Unfortunatley, all the repairs run together but it was about $400 to fix. It sounded like rubbing, but not all the time. Tires didn't wiggle, though, and I couldn't load it up one way or the other.

wasilvers said:
Had that happen on my van. Unfortunatley, all the repairs run together but it was about $400 to fix. It sounded like rubbing, but not all the time. Tires didn't wiggle, though, and I couldn't load it up one way or the other.

Do you remember what got replaced? Im Curious, this way if I have to take it to a mechanic I hope to know a little on what is in it on replacing.

But dang was looking at it today and smelled antifreeze, found a crack in the PLASTIC radiator, so priced them, 164 bucks! There goes money some where else! Lol crazy sometimes.

I think it was the front bearing and hub. The part was pricey on my van,I checked myself, but labor wasn't bad.

Take apart a old cv and have a look. Not saying its not a bearing, but dont rule out other Problems. Noises generally are heard in the cab at speed, If you could put your ear at the wheel at 2 mph the noise is still there. Think of speed as the volume control on your radio.

Got the front up on jacks, and had a listen, right away found out where the noise is coming from, TRANS!

Welp that sucked to know. So I got bigger issues, not the first time.

Thanks to those that helped out, and i know there are some with certain educated back grounds and i respect that, kinda why i asked for advice but for the record and respect back, where I'm from a shade tree mechanic is a common sense poor man that has to fix his own stuff.

I'm hesitent to believe its a transmission. Shifting issues and leaking fluid are your typical indicators, if you suspect the tranny, pull the tranny dipstick and check the color and smell it. IF it is black or metalic, or has a distinct burnt odor, tehn yea tranny.

IT could still be a wheel bearing or CV shaft, the noise travels through the half shafts into the tranny, thus making it sound like a tranny issue. Remember the screwdriver sound testing trick mentioned earlier? The virbation travels through the tang of the driver intot he handle and into your ear when you place it next to the handle. Same thing could be happening with your bearing, cv, tranny. Noise travels.
Best test for bearings is turns, if the pitch changes it means a bearing. To determine which bearing, jack the van up, and grab the tire at 12 and 6 oclock positions and try to rock it up and down, no grab it at 3 and 9 oclock positions and try to rock it side to side. 1/16" of an inch movement, especially up and down is all it takes for a wheel bearing. I have seen bearings with no movement still bad. Another option, take it to a shop you trust and get a free estimate.

The typical indicator for a cv joint is a busted rubber boot. Look for grease all over and a hole int eh boot.

Now when I was in your situation, I replaced both the CV and the bearing with lifetime replacement units. The easiest way to replace the cv is to pull the bearing. The other option is to disconnect a ball joint and tie rod, then you need to pay for a front end alignment when your done. Cheaper to pull the bearing to pull the cv shaft, might as well replace them both while you have that bearing out. Sure I may be replacing a part that doesnt need it, yet! However if your like me, your van has some mileage and its only a matter of time before the other goes, then your doing the work again.

Hanr3 said:
I'm hesitent to believe its a transmission. Shifting issues and leaking fluid are your typical indicators, if you suspect the tranny, pull the tranny dipstick and check the color and smell it. IF it is black or metalic, or has a distinct burnt odor, tehn yea tranny.

IT could still be a wheel bearing or CV shaft, the noise travels through the half shafts into the tranny, thus making it sound like a tranny issue. Remember the screwdriver sound testing trick mentioned earlier? The virbation travels through the tang of the driver intot he handle and into your ear when you place it next to the handle. Same thing could be happening with your bearing, cv, tranny. Noise travels.
Best test for bearings is turns, if the pitch changes it means a bearing. To determine which bearing, jack the van up, and grab the tire at 12 and 6 oclock positions and try to rock it up and down, no grab it at 3 and 9 oclock positions and try to rock it side to side. 1/16" of an inch movement, especially up and down is all it takes for a wheel bearing. I have seen bearings with no movement still bad. Another option, take it to a shop you trust and get a free estimate.

The typical indicator for a cv joint is a busted rubber boot. Look for grease all over and a hole int eh boot.

Now when I was in your situation, I replaced both the CV and the bearing with lifetime replacement units. The easiest way to replace the cv is to pull the bearing. The other option is to disconnect a ball joint and tie rod, then you need to pay for a front end alignment when your done. Cheaper to pull the bearing to pull the cv shaft, might as well replace them both while you have that bearing out. Sure I may be replacing a part that doesnt need it, yet! However if your like me, your van has some mileage and its only a matter of time before the other goes, then your doing the work again.

Yea most of all that is checked out, no torn boot covers, leaks, wheels are nice and stiff, tranny fluid has always been full smells normal, it started to take to long to shift Untill it warms up, needs a new filter and fluid but that just started two months ago, so after listening to the noise, it's not coming through the tires or axles, it's straight out the top of the tranny.

wondering if it's the pump in the tranny going? quick cheap temorary(not really a fix) drain fluid and pull tranny pan. put new filter in and put a bottle of lucas tranny stuff. and fill rest of the way with trans fluid......may make it a bit quiter and may keep the tranny working a lil longer.....

:mrgreen: If it's a ford, a gallon of gas an a match will go along way!! lol ever seen the ford emblem ? they circled the problem from the factory! Ford = Fked over rebuilt dodge, fix or repair daily,found on road dead, Driver returns on foot...

sorry i had to lighten the mood in the thread it was gettin pretty stale in here!

JamesM56alum said:
:mrgreen: If it's a ford, a gallon of gas an a match will go along way!! lol ever seen the ford emblem ? they circled the problem from the factory! Ford = Fked over rebuilt dodge, fix or repair daily,found on road dead, Driver returns on foot...

sorry i had to lighten the mood in the thread it was gettin pretty stale in here!

Lol, thanks needed that!

I'm a Ford and Chevy truck man No Dodge truck!

But would have a Dodge caravan anytime!